System Preferences dialog hangs system

After upgrading an RPI3 to 4.9.24-v7+ #993 SMP Wed Apr 26 18:01:23 BST 2017 the system preferences dialog seems to lock up the whole machine.

Anybody else seen this?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

This may or not be a useful data point, but I just fired up my pi3 and updated to 4.9.25-v7+ with no obvious ill effects.

--
chrispam1@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
You're better off replying to this newsgroup.

It might be time for a new SD card if you get random lock ups. Give the card an fsck, and also installing and running debsums which will check the hashes of packages to show up any corruption.

---druck

druck

It is a useful data point. Thank you!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

The lockups don't seem random, the machine has been running without trouble for the past 24 hours.

It's more likely that some earlier attemps to replace LXterminal by downloading xfce have crossed some wires. After the latest update the screen blanker was replaced by a screen saver displaying the xfce logo, which I didn't intend.

In the event I've installed multiple desktops, how do I select one, in its entirely, over another?

The machine starts up in text mode, so I use startx to fire up the GUI.

Thanks for reading and and any guidance,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Having multiple desktops installed wont cause lock ups.

The worst that will happen is your application menu will contain more than one entry for some programs, such as terminals and file managers. You can use the menu editor to remove the ones you don't want in each desktop.

Your choice, but using the login screen gives you a choice of which desktop.

---druck

druck

Thanks! I did not know that.

bob prohaska