Swap rpi3 to rpi4 with same SD card

Hello,

I just got a rpi4, ans seen that I have too many thing installed on my rpi3, I want to take the sd card from the rpi3 and put it on the rpi4.

I'm following this tutorial

but I have a problem with step5: when I try to reinstall the bootloader, I get his error:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install --reinstall raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree... Done Reading state information... Done Reinstallation of raspberrypi-bootloader is not possible, it cannot be downloaded. Reinstallation of raspberrypi-kernel is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.

Any ideas how to solve it?

Thanks bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to

IIRC, all current RPi software versions contain the software needed to boot and run on any RPi, so how long is it since you last updated the software on that SD card?

IOW, if you haven't done so recently, update that card image on the RPi3 and try again, but be aware that the /dev/mmcblk0p1 boot partition, which is mounted on /boot, used to be very small (50MB or less), so if you haven't resized it recently, you should copy the card contents to a new, bigger SD card with /dev/mmcblk0p1 increased to at least 500MB - I'm currently using 16GB cards with a 1GB boot partition.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

yes, I had to resize the /boot partition (now is 300MB). In the meantime I found the issue. For some reason I didn't have the raspi.list in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ (probably beccause the isnallation is very old), so apt didn't get the repository deb

buster main ui

where raspberrypi-bootloader and so on are.

Added it, and after and apt update and full-upgrade later, the rpi4 booted up correctly.

Bye Jack