Struggling with the video.

Presumably there is a video buffer somewhere which will display any pixels that you choose to put there, without there being any activity from the GPU part of the video controller?

How is its area, frame rate and X and Y pixel range determined?

Also, for dynamic video such as DVB there must be some means of instructing the graphics processor how to overwrite that area?

Has there been published any disassembly of the graphics library to work out what is going on so that 64 bitters could drive it from A64?

Yours etc, Confused from Tunbridge Wells

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

Er...I suspect strongly that is NOT the case.

Not at hardware level.

the whole thrust of GPUs is to put a complex bit of bit blatting between the CPU and the screen memory that you can't bypass.

That sounds more like my (limited) understanding of GPUs.

sling 'em a high level command, and let them take the strain.

I would think you can find the source easily enough.

--
  ?A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
 Click to see the full signature

It depends. Some screens (like 3.5" or 2.8" TFT screens from AdaFruit) have software video buffer located in RPi memory that you have to use directly, bypassing the GPU. It's because these screens are connected right to RPi GPIO pins. They, of course, would lack any hardware acceleration.

It determined by screen driver which is usually supplied by the screen manufacturer. Software for such screens usually written for pre-determined screen size, i.e. programmer write in the code something like "var ScreenSize.x = 320; var ScreenSize.y = 240;"

Reply to
Pabst Blue Ribbon