Struggle to get files to and from PI/ laptop

I have been struggling to work out how to do this and now I have just discovered how to easily move files to and from Pi to a Windows laptop...

Filezilla makes it so easy, over your LAN, but you have to enable SSH in the Pi's configuration. You need the Pi's IP, username and password, port 22.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Samba (smb) protocol is much easier.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

I have to disagree enabling ssh is a simple process Samba takes a lot of preparation & configuration

when your main computers are also Linux (I don't have windows at home) ssh is a no brainer because of all of the features it enables besides remote administration, scp, X-forwarding & sshfs even enables the mounting of remote directories.

it is a shame that it is no-longer enabled by default but that was unfortunately a necessary concession to security.

--
Treaties are like roses and young girls -- they last while they last.
		-- Charles DeGaulle

enabling ssh is easy, configuring it correctly is far more complicated than installing samba and configuring a share.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

default ssh configuration is more than adequate for the Raspberry Pi's target audience if you need higher levels of security it is still easier to configure the SAMBA (which is nowhere near as secure!)

--
 rcw: Oh yay---I haven't been involved in a good flamewar in at
           least ... 5 minutes!

On a sunny day (Tue, 24 Jul 2018 09:32:04 GMT) it happened Alister wrote in :

Not sure what you mean by security, but for attacks from the outside use the port forwarding option in your cable modem, or whatever you use to connect to the internet. I only forward outside port 80 to my raspi webserver's IP address. They can do port scans all they want, and try ssh all they want, will only find port 80 webserver.

I use ssh -Y all the time, from terminals on a big PC. Did not need to configure anything for it on my pi. Usually have no monitors or keyboards connected to the raspis, all code development via ssh. To copy files from and to raspis I use scp.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje