Speed testing software for storage devices

Is there a program for testing speed of storage devices anyhere in
the Raspbian apt-get universe? I'd like to test read/write speeds
of a microSD card that seems to be getting stuck from time to time.

Obviously, I'd have to use a USB-microSD adapter, but for the magnitude
of deadlock I'm looking for that should be plenty fast.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: Speed testing software for storage devices

If it's mounted: sudo hdparm -t --direct /dev/sda2
But "getting stuck" sounds like trouble. Veterinary friends used to say:
"a sick bird is a dead bird" and much the same is true for sd cards I'm
afraid.

Re: Speed testing software for storage devices

I am afraid I have to add my vote to that.

--
     ?I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

Hdparm's man page suggests it's a bigger hammer than needed but might work.
Something similar to CrystalDiskMark would do the job, but far as can be
told it's strictly a Windows program and I have no Windoww hosts available.

Thanks to both of you for reading and replying!

bob prohaska

Re: Speed testing software for storage devices
If the card has S.M.A.R.T. capability, interrogate that.

When an SSD went unexpectedly weird that was what got be a warranty
replacement.

Josef Stalin

Re: Speed testing software for storage devices

Without knowing what might be special about CrystalDiskMark, if you just
want to run speed tests, download the source for Bonnie, compile it and
run it. Bonnie is hardware-agnostic, so can be run against any read/write
media.
Look here: http://www.textuality.com/bonnie/ though they suggest you
download it from https://code.google.com/archive/p/bonnie-64/

Bonnie is easy to compile, easy to run, and the speed results it reports
are straight-forward.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Speed testing software for storage devices

Only that it seems widely-used.

Something called bonnie++ is available  in the apt repository for the Pi,
is that in some way related? There's no man page.

It turns out bonnie is already in the FreeBSD ports tree under benchmarks.
I'll explore it further, thank you very much!

bob prohaska

Site Timeline