Some setup questions on Pi3

Hello bob!

27 Nov 16 00:21, you wrote to all:

bp> Just acquired a Pi3. In general it's impressive, but being bp> somewhat new to Raspbian a few things are not self-apparent.

bp> YouTube seems to play reasonably well on the browser, but bp> animated weather radar maps such as

I've not done this in awhile, but YT probably works as the browser is HTML5 capable....

bp>

bp> 1101111&loop=yes

bp> report "missing plugin". Is there a fix?

This needs the scerge of the internet, flash

<

There are flash options for the pi using gnuash? and lightspark

OR

if you want chromium (the chrome browser on linux)

Has info on this...

bp> How does one set up a printer (Brother MFC8480DN)? I seem to bp> recall a menu-driven configuration tool on an earlier version bp> of Raspbian used on a Pi2 but can't find it again.

Brother GUI setup??? UMmmm.. hmmmmm...err.rr.... *I* have not seen that for Brothers for HP, yes HPLIP-GUI

sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

There still could be PROBLEMS some HP and others Brothers etc.. usea binary driver to make up the lack of the printer having the needed hardware. These binary drivers are not COMPILED for ARMHF ie for the PI's... HP was looking at fixing that for some... There was a bug on it on Launchpad I'd have to dig around for it... I don't know if they ever resolved it.. I know they were at least being receptive to providing ARMHF versions...

On Linux I stick to HP printers due to the simple fact you have a near 99.999% chance the will work...

See if you can find an HP or similar Brother printer in the CUPS list that will work or a generic PCL5 or PCL5 Color printer..

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Just acquired a Pi3. In general it's impressive, but being somewhat new to Raspbian a few things are not self-apparent.

YouTube seems to play reasonably well on the browser, but animated weather radar maps such as

report "missing plugin". Is there a fix?

How does one set up a printer (Brother MFC8480DN)? I seem to recall a menu-driven configuration tool on an earlier version of Raspbian used on a Pi2 but can't find it again.

Is there any information on the browser? Help came up empty, as did the man pages. I can't even find an "about" menu for it.

Thanks for reading, and any guidance!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

+1 on that.

The same may also be true for Epson printers that use Esc/P control codes: I know that the ancient MX-80 control codes also print correctly on LQ-400, LQ-550 and Stylus Colour 850 printers because I've driven them that way: the only downside to using an old Esc/P driver is that features added to the Esc/P command set to support more recent printers aren't available.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

It looks as if the advice is stale, even the October 2016 update.

The instructions work (mostly, had to manually create the path /etc/chromium-browser/customizations ) to the point of typing

chrome://plugins

in the URL bar. Trying "chromium" instead of "chrome" made no difference, The browser reports it can't "show this website", as if there's a flag missing in the URL or the path is wrong.

If anybody's got a hint how to make headway I'd be grateful.

The printer issue might be a little more complicated. I downloaded the printer software using apt-get and installed it, but when trying to set it up the menus don't correspond to the help suggestions, which implies there's a version mismatch somewhere.

Cups resides in /usr/share/cups but there's no mention of it in the configuration or preferences menu, the print setup simply reports "CUPS services stopped" and there's no System-Administration menu under the raspberry icon to start them.

The printer did work with an older version of Raspbian on a Pi2, so this is probably something to do with Pi3 versus Pi2,

For what it's worth, uname -a reports Linux raspberrypi 4.4.32-v7+ #924 SMP Tue Nov 15 18:11:28 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

I can't find a corresponding command to discover what userland revision the system is running.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Rick, would you mind, please, prefixing your sig with "dash dash space" so that news-reading software can remove it automatically when replying to you?

Thanks.

Also, Samsung have linux drivers for their printers. They worked well last time I used them too.

Reply to
mick

Sounds like cups isn't running running? This woiuld be normal for a workstation-type installation, since the printer would be either a network printer or attached to a server.

What does "systemctl status cups" show?

If cups is disabled, use 'systemctl enable cups' to enable it (this means it will be started at boot time in future).

Then use 'systemctl start cups' to start it.

Could also be that the Pi 2 was running an old Raspbian managed by init V while the Pi 3 is a more recent Raspbian that uses systemd. That would also explain some of the docs being out of date.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

bob@raspberrypi:~ $ systemctl status cups ? cups.service Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory) Active: inactive (dead)

Evidently I'm dumber than I imagined. Cups is a separate package, independent of the basic printer software. I was fooled by finding a /usr/share/cups directory into thinking it was present.

Now that CUPS is running there's a new wrinkle: The printer is recognized twice, with the correct network address, but selecting either incarnation results in a search for drivers and what looks like a crash; the setup windows vanish. Since the printer speaks PostScript I don't think any special drivers are required..... A .ppd file maybe, but not mentioned.

I don't think it was quite so involved with the Pi2, but it's been a while. I'll keep poking at it, Thanks for word of the systemctl command!

The issues with chromium were on the same level; It turned out the system wasn't running chromium at all, but rather something called web. Now chromium is installed. Flash still doesn't work, but at least I've got the right browser in my sights.

8-)

Many thanks to all!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

For some reason the Raspberry > Preferences > Print menu seems to have disappeared. The printer is alive and serving its web page for config. Pointing a browser to localhost:631 brings up the local CUPS configuration page. Running systemctl status cups brings up

`cups.service - CUPS Printing Service Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled) Active: active (running) since Mon 2016-11-28 17:30:20 PST; 15min ago Docs: man:cupsd(8) man:cupsd.conf(5) Main PID: 1416 (cupsd) CGroup: /system.slice/cups.service ??1416 /usr/sbin/cupsd -f

Cups restarts when the Pi reboots. There is now an /etc/cups/client.conf file containing

ServerName 192.168.1.250

which is the correct network address.

With existing printers deleted, a search for new printers finds two instances of Brother MFC-8480DN (Brother MFC-8480DN)

The first uses connection lpd://BRN001BA9A3D6ED/BINARY_P1 but the second uses connection dnssd://Brother%20MFC-8480DN._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/

Neither seems to work, nor allow appearance of an entry in the preferences menu, which did happen briefly before I butchered something.

It seems there's a missing link between lpd or dnssd and the IP address of the printer.

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Please discover how to format a sig.

And for people who are normally always so rah rah about their country, I find it amusing you bought so blindly into a demagogue's transparently manipulative message of fear and doom.

P.S. Anyone who doesn't like the second part of my response above, ought to also encourage Rick to be civil and considerate of others, and keep his politics within a sig, if he must bring them into a non-political group at all. Because this is the result. Which I guess is the way he wants it, since he just can't help himself.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Oh come on now, he isn't in the EU or a 'climate believer' so how can he?

White lives matter. I'm proud to be white. I am going to form an Association of White Lawyers.

Me? Racist? Because I substituted White for Black?

The weapon most to be feared is WMG.

White Man's Guilt.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you checked the Raspbian bugzilla> If this problem isn't already registered as a bug, consider raising one:this is the usual way to get anything fixed in Linux.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

It's possible but very unlikely the error is other than mine if history is a guide. Prime suspects are permissions errors and queue naming errors.

At this po "Unable to configure printer options." on an administrative page accessed through localhost:631 The printer did wake up briefly, at least 8-)

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Belief? In reality? Is that actually a thing? I just deal with reality. No belief required.

Yes, the white man is so oppressed... *weeps*

Jamie Kahn Genet

You would be surprised.

Yes, he is, and its high time he woke up to it.

The Natural Philosopher

Mm. ISTR that I had to login as root to change printer settings using the web interface

The Natural Philosopher
30 Nov 16 22:34, you wrote to you:

bp> to unpack .../cups_1.7.5-11+deb8u1_armhf.deb ... Unpacking cups bp> (1.7.5-11+deb8u1) over (1.7.5-11+deb8u1) ... Processing triggers for bp> man-db bp> (2.7.0.2-5) ... Setting up cups (1.7.5-11+deb8u1) ... bp> lpinfo: server-error-version-not-supported bp> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ bp> This looks like the same error reported in the print setup dialog box.

what does lpstat report? perhaps this page can help?

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... EVERYONE is weird...some of us are proud of it.

Reply to
mark lewis

After reinstalling and reconfiguring things look slightly better. I now have a Print preferences menu, but opening it produces an alert box displaying

There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'server-error-version-not-supported'.

To my utter amazement, using the administrative web page at localhost:631 a test page printed, so it looks like the network parameters are all right. Maybe this _is_ a bug in Raspbian or CUPS.

uname -a reports Linux raspberrypi 4.4.34-v7+ #930 SMP Wed Nov 23 15:20:41 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux and CUPS is at 1.7.5 .

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Running the command sudo apt-get install --reinstall cups produces Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to get 0 B/280 kB of archives. After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used. Preconfiguring packages ... (Reading database ... 126072 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack .../cups_1.7.5-11+deb8u1_armhf.deb ... Unpacking cups (1.7.5-11+deb8u1) over (1.7.5-11+deb8u1) ... Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ... Setting up cups (1.7.5-11+deb8u1) ... lpinfo: server-error-version-not-supported ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This looks like the same error reported in the print setup dialog box.

Perhaps related, during boot the lines [ 4.303969] systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules. [ 4.313073] systemd[1]: Unit systemd-modules-load.service entered failed state.

I don't think this is related to the CUPS issue, but it does seem odd.

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Interesting. My problem seems identical to the one described in the link, but the solution (modifying /etc/cups/client.conf with /version=1.1) did not have any effect. Raspberry > Preferences > Print Settings still produces There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'server-error-operation-not-supported'.

The CUPS web configuration page suggests a connection of dnssd://Brother%20MFC-8480DN._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/ The CUPS test page comes out just fine.

On a Mac that uses the same printer a nearly identical line is used, differing only in having a "bidi" suffix. The Mac prints without trouble.

Many thanks for your post, for a minute I had real hope!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska
02 Dec 16 01:57, you wrote to me:

bp> Many thanks for your post, for a minute I had real hope!

you are welcome, bob... i had hope, too... unfortunately i don't (yet) have any pi so i just read and learn what i can... i googled that up with the following, IIRC...

if it wraps and breaks, use this tinyurl...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... As handy as an indulgent husband.

Reply to
mark lewis