small portable display for RPi

I have responded with the hdmi monitors from hardkernel.com. They start at $55, and go to $90. That is for hdmi monitors. They generally need 5V power.

They have direct attachment ones for $25, but those are only partly usable for the rpi (the harware attachment on the rpi and the hardkernel are very similar, but not identical).

They generally ship quite fast from South Korea. I have been a customer ~10 times, and have never had any issues.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad

Their website crashed my browser, so I'm not impressed.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug
Reply to

I think the issue is that the Pi can detect the presence of an HDMI cable, but not composite video[1]. Hence:

HDMI cable detected: output on HDMI else output on composite video

means in practice you can plug in either before boot and it'll work without any config.

If you default to HDMI you then have a chicken-and-egg problem because the composite video user can't see anything to change the setting to that port. (pulling the SD card and hacking config.txt on another machine isn't very friendly to the novice user)

It is only in the case of post-boot HDMI connection that the default is

- unhelpful and you can change the hotplug setting for that since you can boot with HDMI attached and then see to change the setting.

I don't know if the Pi can run both HDMI and composite at the same time, but if so it would't be very useful - resolution would be limited to 640x480. So practically you do have to select one.

Theo

[1] while some boards have it as a TRRS jack that might have a switch to detect a plug, on others it's just a pin header.
Reply to
Theo

What browser? FF51.x seems buggy under X11[*]. I've had it crash more times than all of FF4x.x. In one of the Mozilla groups, someone else confirmed seeing this, but I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably.

Elijah

------ [*] the error message on stderr makes a specific X11 reference

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

These days I'm using PaleMoon 27.1.0 which didn't have any problem with that website, but this is on a 64 bit Fedora 25 system. PM is a FF clone with the crufty bits removed and the now-discarded good bits retained, e.g the old-style, non dumbed down configuration panels.

There is an RPi port which you can get from

If its anything like the Fedora download (it is), you get a download script from the website that handles both the initial install and subsequent updates. You'll find it on the website under Download|Other|3rd Party Builds

It runs remotely with no problems: I just tried local Fedora->remote Fedora and the remote PaleMoon worked as expected - and displayed

without any problems.

However, if you've got a local copy of PaleMoon running and then login to a remote system via X11 (X11 forwarding enabled in both directions), any attempt at running a remote copy somehow gets diverted into using the local copy, which then references the local filing system(!).

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Sorry I was OT; not on a pi - It's an old version of Opera. But still. []

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug
Reply to

On 02/02/17 23:40, Stephan Elinghaus so wittily quipped:

your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"
Reply to
Big Bad Bob

Ok thanks. I'll give that a try (and see if it then handles the HDMI-VGA converter hotplug).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

any config.

Oh, but not have it switch dynamically to HDMI if inserted after boot, ok. That isn't so much an issue since I have discovered SSH (late to the game I know ) but it can be a pain of you need to get access to a machine that isn't on the network for some reason.

Understood, however, I (personally) don't have a composite video monitor on hand (I do still have them though) but do have several HDMI devices around, including the HDMI > VGA adaptor and it would be nice to know I would get video output on those if required.

Understood.

Understood.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to