small portable display for RPi - Page 2

Re: small portable display for RPi
In comp.sys.raspberry-pi,
[...]

People down-thread suggested small laptop / netbook. If that's the way
you want to go a pocketCHIP may be suitable:

https://getchip.com/pages/pocketchip

CHIP ($9 computer) + snap on shell with touch screen, keyboard, battery,
and some breakout connectors for $69 total.

I'm curious if there is anything off-the-shelf in a similar price range
for pi.  I have a pi, with one of those Motorola phone docks and I have
a pocketCHIP. The phone dock set-up has a beautiful screen and a decent
keyboard. The pocketCHIP has a tiny screen and a shitty keyboard. But
the phone dock thing is a mess of wires and pocketCHIP is just fun.

Elijah
------
has been considering a second pocketCHIP

Re: small portable display for RPi

These are not off-the-shelf products at present.

A closer look at the website's Store page shows that everything except
the uncased development kit is out of stock and on back order. The
estimated shipping date was January 2017.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Re: small portable display for RPi
In comp.sys.raspberry-pi,

I didn't say "pocketCHIP" was "off-the-shelf". I asked "Is there an
off-the-shelf pi product like pocketCHIP (in price and function)?"

They have had trouble keeping up with demand. That doesn't mean the
product is not available, just that lead time is longer. I've been using
mine since September last year as my alarm clock, and I had it in my
hands more than a month before I did that.

Elijah
------
but believes Next Thing when they say "Q1 2017" shipping

Re: small portable display for RPi

I have responded with the hdmi monitors from hardkernel.com.
They start at $55, and go to $90. That is for hdmi monitors.
They generally need 5V power.

They have direct attachment ones for $25, but those are only
partly usable for the rpi (the harware attachment on the rpi
and the hardkernel are very similar, but not identical).

They generally ship quite fast from South Korea. I have been
a customer ~10 times, and have never had any issues.

-- mrr

Re: small portable display for RPi
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:58:27 -0000, Martin Gregorie

Their website crashed my browser, so I'm not impressed.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Re: small portable display for RPi

What browser? FF51.x seems buggy under X11[*]. I've had it crash more
times than all of FF4x.x. In one of the Mozilla groups, someone else
confirmed seeing this, but I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably.

Elijah
------
[*] the error message on stderr makes a specific X11 reference

Re: small portable display for RPi

These days I'm using PaleMoon 27.1.0 which didn't have any problem with
that website, but this is on a 64 bit Fedora 25 system. PM is a FF clone
with the crufty bits removed and the now-discarded good bits retained,
e.g the old-style, non dumbed down configuration panels.

There is an RPi port which you can get from http://www.palemoon.org/
If its anything like the Fedora download (it is), you get a download
script from the website that handles both the initial install and
subsequent updates. You'll find it on the website under
Download|Other|3rd Party Builds

It runs remotely with no problems: I just tried local Fedora->remote
Fedora and the remote PaleMoon worked as expected - and displayed
https://getchip.com/pages/pocketchip without any problems.

However, if you've got a local copy of PaleMoon running and then login to
a remote system via X11 (X11 forwarding enabled in both directions), any
attempt at running a remote copy somehow gets diverted into using the
local copy, which then references the local filing system(!).

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Sorry I was OT; not on a pi - It's an old version of Opera. But still.
[]

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Re: small portable display for RPi
On 02/02/17 23:40, Stephan Elinghaus so wittily quipped:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pitft-28-inch-resistive-touchscreen-display-raspberry-pi

--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"

Site Timeline