Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

It isn't. Teachers say that students like the bare-bones nature of the board. Unlike their smartphones, they can see its guts and appreciate it more.

(Was this part of the CNN piece with Eben, or did I dream that?)

Most teachers in the UK have been brought up on the Gates/Blair idea that ICT means learning how to use MS Office.

Change will not be instant but there are many enthusiastic IT teachers.

[Snip]
--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Share in a better energy supplier: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg

In a mad moment - Tim Hill mumbled :

Some of whom were at school(as pupils) when the BBC B computer was born.

--
|)    [
|)ryn [vans            mail to - BrynEvans@bryork.freeuk.com
Reply to
Bryn Evans

I think the foundation were bouncing lots of ideas around, but I don't recall mention on the forums, etc. of an "official" boxed systems, etc. But there are now many systems - e.g. this one:

(Which I have a small interest in)

Really - I think it's up to the "system integrators", shops, etc. to put something together which will be attractive to schools - however the big issue there is cost - start adding things to the basic Pi and the price starts to go up - but if the schools, etc. can take a more hands-on approach then they could keep the costs low - if they needed to.

I dont personally think a ne wversion of the Pi is needed right now, we need to get to grips and up to speed with the current model - which will take time for some schools & teachers, so introducing something new will only add confusion...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson