SD Adapter for rPi

I'm looking for an adapter for a micro SD card to use with the rPi. I'm thinking to use a short one like this...

or this...

Or can a USB stick be used to boot an rPi or does it have to be an SD card?

--

Rick
Reply to

Which Pi are you using? Pi2, Pi3 and Pi1 B+ use micro SD cards. Pi1 A and B take full-size SD cards.

The above would likely make a micro SD fit an A or B.

I don't know what that is supposed to do, given Transflash is equivalent to MicroSD (connector-wise, anyway), and that looks too small to fit a full-size socket.

Supposedly it can on the Pi3, but I don't think they've released the necessary firmware/etc yet.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Oh, I see, it's an adaptor to full-size SD sideways. I was confused by the way they've pictured it in the listing. That would probably work also.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I have one in an RPi B. Its a good swap since, unlike a standard SD card, the adapter doesn't stick out past the edge of the RPi PCB.

However, the centre of the micro-SD adapter is a lot thicker (twice the thickness?) of the full-size SD card it replaces, so an RPi with it fitted may no longer fit its case. My B is mounted an 'icecream slice' type case (top and bottom perspex plates with spacers and screws holding them apart and perspex supports that suspend the RPI clear of both plates. I had to either make new PCB supports or add washers to the lower end of the spacers to stop the micro-SD mount fouling the bottom plate and chose to use washers. This works, but what used to be a nice, solid- feeling mount is now rather loose and rattly.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK