Sample ARM assember code?

Ahhhhh, the pin-compatibility issue must be the story with the lawsuit issue--more a matter of the edge of the chip than the inner workings and instruction set. Thanks for that level of detail I had not been aware of.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Wiki:

Motorola lawsuit

The 6501/6502 introduction in print and at Wescon was an enormous success. The downside was the extensive press coverage got Motorola's attention. In October 1975, Motorola reduced the price of a single 6800 microprocessor from $175 to $69. The $300 system design kit was reduced to $150 and it now came with a printed circuit board.[40] On November 3,

1975, Motorola sought an injunction in Federal Court to stop MOS Technology from making and selling microprocessor products. They also filed a lawsuit claiming patent infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets. Motorola claimed that seven former employees joined MOS Technology to create that company's microprocessor products.[41]

Motorola was a billion-dollar company with a plausible case and lawyers. On October 30, 1974, Motorola had filed numerous patent applications on the microprocessor family and was granted twenty-five patents. The first was in June 1976 and the second was to Bill Mensch on July 6, 1976 for the 6820 PIA chip layout. These patents covered the 6800 bus and how the peripheral chips interfaced with the microprocessor.[42] Motorola began making transistors in 1950 and had a portfolio of semiconductor patents. Allen-Bradley decided not to fight this case and sold their interest in MOS Technology back to the founders. Four of the former Motorola engineers were named in the suit: Chuck Peddle, Will Mathys, Bill Mensch and Rod Orgill. All were named inventors in the 6800 patent applications. During the discovery process, Motorola found that one engineer, Mike James, had ignored Peddle's instructions and brought his

6800 design documents to MOS Technology.[43] In March 1976, the now independent MOS Technology was running out of money and had to settle the case. They agreed to drop the 6501 processor, pay Motorola $200,000 and return the documents that Motorola contended were confidential. Both companies agreed to cross-license microprocessor patents.[44] That May, Motorola dropped the price of a single 6800 microprocessor to $35. By November Commodore had acquired MOS Technology.[45][46]
kind word alone.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for even more information, apparently pasted from here:

Right above the above-quoted section is a summary of the pinouts of the 6800, 6501, and 6502.

The line about Motorola having dropped the 6800 price to $35.00 brings back an old memory. IIRC, I paid $38.50 for a 6800 from Sphere Computer in Bountiful, Utah during the summer of 1976. I never got a system built to put it in.

Thanks again for the additional info.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Robert Riches

Sorry, forgot to post the link.

It wasn't meant to necessarily dis any previous posts, more to point out that as with most things, what we retain in memory is often simplistic and partial, whereas the real situation is usually far more shaded and complex.

A habit that is exploited to the full by those involved in marketing - especially political marketing.

However, I digress...

We all have rooms full of stuff like that...

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 12:01:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher declaimed the following:

Just one chip isn't bad...

I've still got most of an Intel "university kit B"... $20 for:

8080 5x8212 tri-state 8-bit buffer 8x2102 1k by 1 static RAM 4x1702 256 by 8 EPROM 8224 clock generator 8205 1 of 8 decoder

To which I later added:

8228 system controller 2708 1k by 8 EPROM 2x 2114 1k by 4 static RAM AY-5-1013A UART (the high-speed version... 40kbaud!) 74C923 20-key encoder {and salvaged Sears calculator keypad} (these days, it would likely be cheaper to just grab a small PIC with 13 I/O lines -- 5x4 to scan, and 4 for output)

and an S-100 wire-wrap board

Dennis Lee Bieber