Samba on Iyonix

I have got file sharing working on my network of RaspPi, Win7 PC, a Nexus7 and my Iyonix. Is it possible to setup the Iyonix to see the shares on the other members of the network. The Nexus can see all shares, the PC can see the Pi but the Iyo displays nothing. But I must say I do not know where to look on the Iyo. Is it because the Iyo has no wireless ability?

Malcolm Smith

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire

Having just sent the above posting tried shutting down Messenger and the Iyo locked up. Samba v08E was on the icon bar. I am sure there must be some intraction between Messenger and Samba. I had to switch off at the back of the Iyo to get the system back O/L.

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

I have something similar on my to-do list, albeit with IRIX added to the li st. Being able to grab files from / push files to another machine using whi chever one I happen to be using at the time would be very useful.

File sharing should not depend on wireless - if each device can access the internet through the same router/modem, you should be able to share files ( not necessarily with Samba, though).

The key questions are (1) do you have the relevant information for each mac hine to populate configuration on the other machines? and (2) do you have m utually compatible versions of server/client software, including passwords/ authentication? Several people reported problems with Win7-RISCOS sharing; try comp.sys.acorn.networking for hints.

Samba is attractive as it seems to be the "built in" option for the Nexus ( my wife's refuses to get files from a Linux FTP server in the same room!), though I suspect there are NFS-client and FTP-client apps as alternatives. I suspect I'll end up with a mixture of NFS and Samba "shares" - and I mus t start keeping notes of what works with what when configured like such-and

-such!

Reply to
ajw99uk

Don't forget sftp - its an FTP equivalent that uses SSH connections as its transport mechanism. As its part of the SSH collection it may already be installed alongside the ssh and scp clients and will certainly work between any pair of systems that ssh can connect. sftp is a client program: AFAIK all it needs to transfer files is that the remote system has sshd up and running.

Native sftp uses a command line interface that is quite similar to ftp command line clients. However, if you prefer graphical clients some of the GUI FTP clients may also support the sftp protocol: gftp does.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

you may also want to look at sshfs it is a fuse filing system that again simply needs a sshd running on the server. any directory accessible to the user can then be mounted on the remote pc. performace is not the best but it data transfer is encrypted & it can be quite useful for a quick & dirty temporary share.

--
love,  n.:
	Love ties in a knot in the end of the rope.

Yes. I needed to remote mount file systems securely and I have a setuid script that uses ssh to do this.

sshfs snipped-for-privacy@vps.mysite.com:/var/www /home/me/mywebsite

etc etc.

this gives seamless access with my user privileges, and all the gui file stuff works. The only thing that coughs a little is rsync which doesn't seem to understand these are remote mounts.

whereas it ignores NFS mounts..

if you have ssh set up to work seamlessly, so too will sshfs.

thoroughly recommended

However if its windows and MAC users you want to provide a server for samba is what you will need.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have found it to be pretty damned fast actually at least over a remote link where bandwidth is the limiting factor

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

rsynch will work directly with ssh so moutpoints/shares are not be needed

just specify the remote directory as needed @: :-)

--
People who think they know everything greatly annoy those of us who do.
Reply to

I didn't say it was slow, just not the fastest, I expect a full network file system to would perform it (I cant confirm that & I tend to sshfs mount things as & when I need them as well)

--
We prefer to speak evil of ourselves rather than not speak of ourselves
at all.

Meant to add this earlier, but for RISCOS-Win7 sharing, see

(assumes you have LanMan98, but some of the Windows side and terminology may be useful even if you don't)

Reply to
ajw99uk

Thanks all for the suggestions and example commands - ssh and related tools certainly seem worth further exploration for me (and for Malcolm's Win7 PC using tools at

html if he can put up with CLI, or perhaps win-sshfs)

Reply to
ajw99uk

He has at least one other GUI tool. Filezilla supports SFTP and runs on Win7.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

true but irrelevant. I don't want to back up my remote server just because its mounted on my desktop. It gets backed up a different way.

Rsync --one-file-system works with nfs mounted volumes, and ignores them. But not ones mounted via sshfs it seems.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[Snip]

You need Sunfish on the Iyonix or a RISC OS Pi to see NFS servers.

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Share in a better energy supplier: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg

Thanks Tim. Now downloaded for trial.

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

You will also need Moonfish (NFS server) for Pi/RISCOS or a NFS server runn ing on Pi/Linux to enable Sunfish on the Iyonix to "see" shares being serve d by the Pi. I doubt the Nexus7 offers NFS serving without some add-on work (which may b e non-trivial, though I've not investigated this at all) and for serving sh ares from Win7 either persevere with Samba (as others have said) or have a look at Windows "Services for Unix" (though support beyond XP seems to beco me rather limited). This morning I was having trouble re-connecting an NFS share between Pi/Lin ux and IRIX (in either direction), but via the "Go" menu of PCManFM was abl e to make an SSH connection straght off, which presented the shared directo ry as "sftp:/". The olny drawback is that everything written to the IRIX d rive is being date-stamped today - must investigate sftp options to address that.

Reply to
ajw99uk

To share files (only) between RISC OS installs, ShareFS is the easiest option.

Last time I looked at Android NFS servers they all required a rooted device but not looked at this for a while.

[Snip]

Maintaining all those servers and clients is a potential nightmare. Personally, I prefer to use a single network server (NAS) which uses multiple protocols and each device then only has to have client software. Windows can then use default Windows networking as can Android (ES), Unix

- NFS, while RISC OS can use LanMan or Sunfish (and I prefer the latter).

'One server, many clients' much easier to maintain than 'many servers, many clients'.