rugged case with button and optional display

Hi!
I'm looking for a case to a pi (likely pi2)
that is fairly rugged.

It is to be placed in a warehouse, and the
operator will use it to order something from a connected system.
(say it is a ping for a container truck to pick up a container)

Best case (ha ha) scenario is a plastic case
with an lcd display and a push button or two.
IP44 would of course be best, but
rugged is most likely good enough.

Any suggestions ?

--

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

I doubt you'll find a custom Pi case that's an ideal match to what
you want but that probably isn't really an issue, it doesn't sound
as if you need regular access to the ports so there are any number
of generic commercial enclosures that would fit the bill after the
drilling of a few holes for switch mounting and cable egress - if
you want to maintain a given IP rating that is a matter of correct
selection of switches and cable glands but IP44 isn't challenging.
In some respects that approach may actually be beneficial since
the right sized case will allow for practicalities such as fitting
an off-the-shelf SMPS module in there right alongside the Pi.

A quick flick through the CPC catalogue found these among others
right away:
http://cpc.farnell.com/spelsberg/111-005/poly-enc-with-trans-lid-130x130x75mm/dp/EN81953?ost=en81953
http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/ol20031/transparent-lid-ip56-150x110x70mm/dp/EN81305?ost=en81305
http://cpc.farnell.com/camdenboss/bim2005-25-blk-clr/deep-lid-clr-blk-box-150x80x76/dp/EN81065?ost=en81065

All have clear lids allowing for visibility of an off-the-shelf
display module internally.  OTOH if you can rationalise the display
requirements down to a few LED indicators I'd probably be tempted
by a metal case instead, for better impact resistance in an industrial
setting.  That would probably be either diecast if you really want
that IP rating, or the folded sheet aluminium variety if you want
to save a few pennies and have something slightly easier to work.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

Yes, I am having trouble finding something that fits.

My problem is that I want something out-of-the-box.
I work at a software house and the idea of drilling and
soldering and crimping contacts appeals to no-one but me.
So I will have a tough time convincing people here that
this is part of our business, and taht we can support it.

My idea was that a pi - that we can support - and the adaptions there.
But I'd like to stay out of the hardware tweak part

The current suggestion is a box from toyota I think.
I has a button and a display. I don't think it is a pi though.

but it is 700 euros ...

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

If you're going to be manufacturing these, then manufacture them. If
drilling some holes and attaching some things is unacceptable, then you'll
be very upset when the "standard" parts you've chosen are inevitably
"reved" by their manufacturers.

If necessary hire someone(s), or, better, train some of your software folks
to be more systems-oriented. ;-)
--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

Hmm, that is most likely an uphill race, but the most sensible.

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

Actaully, it might be an option to skip the IP part.
It might be enough to have some spares and just shift them out
when they break.

Best I've found so far is
http://www.adafruit.com/categories/159

but - I don't need the full display, and I'd like the buttons
to be at least 1 - 2 cm in diameter.

I saw a button

http://www.adafruit.com/products/482

that might do the trick.
I just need to give feedback that pushing the button actually triggered
something in the back end.

But : I still need to drill and solder ...

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

It is highly unlikely that you'll find anything suitable off-the-shelf,
but there are any number of small engineering companies who would be
delighted to take on the design and manufacture of such a box.
Google the appropriate term ("small electronics enclosure manufacturer")
in your language/location.

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

Yes - I do have trouble finding it. Hence the original post.
But as may has pointed out, I'll start looking into making them myself.
Or someone at the company at least.

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

How many of these do you need?  What do you see as potential sales in
the future?

--

Rick

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

I think the number is in the 10's rather than 1000's.

Say 15-25 per year.
So it is by no means big business.
But I thought that a case with a small screen and some buttons
would appeal to many. So many that a 'standard' case was justified to
exist. But I'm starting to think I was wrong here.

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

best I could find to start this off is this on ebay....black powder
coated metal .... its a start

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-METAL-Steel-Raspberry-Pi-Model-B-Case-Made-in-the-USA-Powder-Coat-Painted-/281089262954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417239c56a

---

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

Hmm, thanks but no. As I replied elsewhere, I want to stay out of
modifications if I can.

--

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

Can I just check I understand the requirements:

You want a doohickey that has some features.
This doohickey doesn't exist and can't be bought off the shelf.
You don't want to make them yourself for various reasons.
You don't want to modify any doohickey that may be close to your needs.
You don't want to commission a small production run yourself.

I know what you want; it's called the "moon on a stick". Google will
help you find where to get a "moon on a stick".

;-)

Re: rugged case with button and optional display
correct

But I thought it did - and asked here if anybody had seen one.
But it does not look that way.

correct

correct

correct

incorrect
I want a doohickey that has some features.
But I might have found what I needed elsewhere

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

I have built cases for all kinds of projects.

If you have found another case for the Rpi, please share.

Re: rugged case with button and optional display

Well, not found per see, but been approached
regarding custom made for me.

So I do not have a link to share just yet.

--

looking for long acrylic raspberry pi case for 3.5" hd addition like one below

Looking for long acrylic raspberry pi open sided clear case for 3.5" hd
addition like one below..the guy below seems to be OUT of them
..hopefully someone has seen these before on some site ebay or
aliexpress or some such as another source?

most cases of this type only have room for the raspberry pi themselves
and are much smaller ...i need a horizontal version (long) like the
below ebay link with the open sides to allow ribbons and cables
on the open sides

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301656366712?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and hopefully somewhat cheaper then the $$$ charged for the two of these
he sold for 30 bucks with shipping. :)

thanks

---

Re: looking for long acrylic raspberry pi case for 3.5" hd addition like one below
On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 05:41:41 -0500

That's just a bit of this http://www.ebay.com/itm/161153389953
and a few of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/191551576821

Re: looking for long acrylic raspberry pi case for 3.5" hd addition like one below

thanks not sure how i missed that on ebay ..... Just when I begin to
think I have some reasonable ebay search skills ..alas...... :)

thanks again

---

Re: looking for long acrylic raspberry pi case for 3.5" hd addition like one below

Wow, $8 sounds expensive for such a small piece of plexiglass.  Is there
something special about "Cell Cast"?

--

Rick

Site Timeline