rugged case with button and optional display

Hi! I'm looking for a case to a pi (likely pi2) that is fairly rugged.

It is to be placed in a warehouse, and the operator will use it to order something from a connected system. (say it is a ping for a container truck to pick up a container)

Best case (ha ha) scenario is a plastic case with an lcd display and a push button or two. IP44 would of course be best, but rugged is most likely good enough.

Any suggestions ?

Reply to
Björn Lundin

I doubt you'll find a custom Pi case that's an ideal match to what you want but that probably isn't really an issue, it doesn't sound as if you need regular access to the ports so there are any number of generic commercial enclosures that would fit the bill after the drilling of a few holes for switch mounting and cable egress - if you want to maintain a given IP rating that is a matter of correct selection of switches and cable glands but IP44 isn't challenging. In some respects that approach may actually be beneficial since the right sized case will allow for practicalities such as fitting an off-the-shelf SMPS module in there right alongside the Pi.

A quick flick through the CPC catalogue found these among others right away:

All have clear lids allowing for visibility of an off-the-shelf display module internally. OTOH if you can rationalise the display requirements down to a few LED indicators I'd probably be tempted by a metal case instead, for better impact resistance in an industrial setting. That would probably be either diecast if you really want that IP rating, or the folded sheet aluminium variety if you want to save a few pennies and have something slightly easier to work.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

best I could find to start this off is this on ebay....black powder coated metal .... its a start

mrbrad

Yes, I am having trouble finding something that fits.

My problem is that I want something out-of-the-box. I work at a software house and the idea of drilling and soldering and crimping contacts appeals to no-one but me. So I will have a tough time convincing people here that this is part of our business, and taht we can support it.

My idea was that a pi - that we can support - and the adaptions there. But I'd like to stay out of the hardware tweak part

The current suggestion is a box from toyota I think. I has a button and a display. I don't think it is a pi though.

but it is 700 euros ...

Björn Lundin

Hmm, thanks but no. As I replied elsewhere, I want to stay out of modifications if I can.

Reply to
Björn Lundin

Actaully, it might be an option to skip the IP part. It might be enough to have some spares and just shift them out when they break.

Best I've found so far is

but - I don't need the full display, and I'd like the buttons to be at least 1 - 2 cm in diameter.

I saw a button

that might do the trick. I just need to give feedback that pushing the button actually triggered something in the back end.

But : I still need to drill and solder ...

Björn Lundin

If you're going to be manufacturing these, then manufacture them. If drilling some holes and attaching some things is unacceptable, then you'll be very upset when the "standard" parts you've chosen are inevitably "reved" by their manufacturers.

If necessary hire someone(s), or, better, train some of your software folks to be more systems-oriented. ;-)

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
Reply to

It is highly unlikely that you'll find anything suitable off-the-shelf, but there are any number of small engineering companies who would be delighted to take on the design and manufacture of such a box. Google the appropriate term ("small electronics enclosure manufacturer") in your language/location.

Reply to
tony van der Hoff

How many of these do you need? What do you see as potential sales in the future?

--

Rick
Reply to

Hmm, that is most likely an uphill race, but the most sensible.

Björn Lundin

Yes - I do have trouble finding it. Hence the original post. But as may has pointed out, I'll start looking into making them myself. Or someone at the company at least.

Björn Lundin

I think the number is in the 10's rather than 1000's.

Say 15-25 per year. So it is by no means big business. But I thought that a case with a small screen and some buttons would appeal to many. So many that a 'standard' case was justified to exist. But I'm starting to think I was wrong here.

Björn Lundin

Can I just check I understand the requirements:

You want a doohickey that has some features. This doohickey doesn't exist and can't be bought off the shelf. You don't want to make them yourself for various reasons. You don't want to modify any doohickey that may be close to your needs. You don't want to commission a small production run yourself.

I know what you want; it's called the "moon on a stick". Google will help you find where to get a "moon on a stick".

;-)

Reply to
mm0fmf

correct

But I thought it did - and asked here if anybody had seen one. But it does not look that way.

correct

correct

correct

incorrect I want a doohickey that has some features. But I might have found what I needed elsewhere

Björn Lundin

I have built cases for all kinds of projects.

If you have found another case for the Rpi, please share.

Reply to
hamilton

Well, not found per see, but been approached regarding custom made for me.

So I do not have a link to share just yet.

Reply to
Björn Lundin

Looking for long acrylic raspberry pi open sided clear case for 3.5" hd addition like one below..the guy below seems to be OUT of them ..hopefully someone has seen these before on some site ebay or aliexpress or some such as another source?

most cases of this type only have room for the raspberry pi themselves and are much smaller ...i need a horizontal version (long) like the below ebay link with the open sides to allow ribbons and cables on the open sides

and hopefully somewhat cheaper then the $$$ charged for the two of these he sold for 30 bucks with shipping. :)

thanks

mrbrad

That's just a bit of this

and a few of these

Rob Morley

I'd suggest LEGO blocks. Super glue all but the few joints needed for access, or all of them.

Reply to
ray carter

I don't recall the name of the site, but there is at least one place you can go that will let you upload a design and make cut plexiglass designs like this. They sell a lot of rPi cases make of layers and anyone can buy them. I think you may get a commission on your designs when someone else buys them.

Anyone remember the URL of this site? I expect there is more than one. Some of the rPi cases are pretty cool looking. You could layout this design very simply and have it made, likely for less than the $30 this one costs.

--

Rick
Reply to