RPi-set, what Linux version on the Micro SD card?

I never used NOOBS. I just install Raspbian on the card. But that also is because I rarely connect a keyboard and monitor.

Reply to
Rob

This is the software that belongs to the Seven Segments of Pi - project:

That's why I'm using it. It's a custom version of NOOBS. On the other card I have got Raspbian installed.

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl

NOOBS (I hate that name) is only a type of bootloader. It organises the actual operating systems in different partitions of the card. The OS you are booting via NOOBS is just regular Raspbian with the addition of a driver for the LCD and perhaps other assorted software.

But that's fine, because nowhere does it say on the website which software is needed/included on top of Raspbian, so you'll have to use the NOOBS image anyway.

Reply to
A. Dumas

That's correct. But the image doesn't work with the RPi B+ . I have installed a combination of the new and old image. There were no scripts of de seven segment of pi on the sd card. So I have tried to copy it from the manual (a PDF). Now I get several errors.

Here is the manual:

Here is my script. I have rename it from *.py to *.py.txt , so you can watch it on my website.

Can anybody tell me what wrong with it? Or is this script not suitable for the RPi B+ ?

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

Jos drukte met precisie uit :

Sorry I forgot an url:

mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

It looks like a nice project! You have to have some patience with things like this. There may be small problems. Of course it does not help that you have a different Pi than it was written for, but that only affects the running of the image itself, not the scripts. So when you get the Pi booting from the SD card and you have all the required parts (script and hardware) it should be possible to get it operating. Are you sure the scripts are not on the original card image?

Copying the scripts from the pdf may result in some extra garbage. Also note that in python, indentation matters. So when everything is flush left when you copy it from the document, it is not going to work.

Reply to
Rob

It works now!

I've asked the people from

for the scripts of the manual. Every script runs without errors. I even combined two scripts. It's great to work with!

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

congratulations!

now that you have a working system as a "base camp" you can more confidently explore options, I suspect the addition they made to rasbpian is just "wiringpi"

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

wiringPi isn't (yet) a standard package in Raspbian - although I recall this is xbmc, or something? I do get frequent emails asking how to install wiringPi on xbmc and the other media distro - the first stumbling block is lack of make & gcc (apt-get install build-essential)

I'm also fairly sure the 7 segments of Pi stuff is all Python too (although if I had my hands on one, I'd probably write something for it in C or RTB ...)

-Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Thanks! I also had problems to install a wifi adapter. But I solved that. The only problem is, that I can't use the wifi adapter and the network-cable connected on the same time.

The adjustments for the SSoPi are for children using multiple monitors (HDMI / VGA). They got a SD card they can use. Both at school and at home. They should be able to put the card in different RPi's, without changing the configuration.

Today I found out that I had been using the wrong micro SD card in my RPi, all the time. So actually it works fine with Raspbian Weezy.

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

That should be no problem. Of course it only works when they are on different networks, and it is best to use fixed settings on one of them so they won't be fighting over the default route and DNS servers.

Set the one you want to connect to a local network to fixed addresses.

Edit /etc/network/interfaces, it will normally be like this:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0 iface wlan0 inet dhcp wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

When you change one of the "inet dhcp" configs to "inet static" you can set your own addresses, like:

iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.100.10 netmask 255.255.255.0

Then the default route etc will still be via WiFi but you can connect your ethernet to a local network that has the 192.168.100.x range.

Ah, an actual school-use project :-) This is what the Pi was designed for, but millions of them went into other projects like XBMC players, camera applications, control systems, etc.

Reply to
Rob

Thanks for this solution, but I have tried this and does not work.

Only the 192.168.1.x range works on my network. I don't want to use to different IP range's

The wlan0 doesn't get any ip adress from dhcp. Only 'manual' works.

It look like a Kernel Bug. This is what happens....

- I boot with the wlan and network cable connected.

- I can 'ping' to google.com.

- I remove the ethernet cable.. often the system crashed, I see many rules on the screen..also a rule with "the Kernel Bug"

When the system doesn't crashes...

- I can still connect to google.com with only the wlan adapter.

- when I connect the ethernet cable, the connection to internet is lost

The system also crashes with the command "sudo ifdown eth0"

Is also strange I can't use dhcp with wlan adapter.

Is this all a Kernel network bug with the new RPi B+ version?

Yes and simpel to start with, in programming with Python.

Correct. I want to use both (XBMC and electronic expiriments) ;-)

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

OF COURSE the above is just an example and you should use an address that fits your network! And of course the range on eth0 and wlan0 should also be different, so you have to make sure they don't end up on the same network (e.g. both on the same internet router) and that you don't have two networks that are setup using the same address range. If so, you first need to change one of them.

I have not seen that, but it looks like you have two connections to the same network. That is not going to work.

It could be that the network driver is not correctly working with the B+ under all possible circumstances, I have no such device so I cannot check that. On my system it is usually possible to unplug the ethernet cable and insert the WiFi dongle, but I lately have some problems with WiFi failing to start after boot. Unplug/replug the dongle fixes it. I have not researched that yet.

Reply to
Rob

Yes, I have two connections on the same network. At this moment it works! The ethernet cable has IP: 192.168.1.72 and WLAN: 192.168.1.71 .

I think, I stay with this configuration. I spent serveral hours with a possible configurations and this works the best for me. If I don't remove the ethernet cable, when the RPi is online.

Okay, I don't had problems like Wifi failing to start after boot.

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

What are you trying to achieve by having two connections to the same local network? Only one of them will be the default route so the other won't be doing anything, unless you're manipulating the routing to e.g. provide a dedicated connection to another local device.

Reply to
Rob Morley

This is not a useful configuration. It is to be expected that it fails once you pull the plug, but not in the way that you describe. What should happen is that when you pull the plug, the interface is down, the dhcp client will remove the route that resulted from the DHCP transaction, and because this is the same for both interfaces it will remove your default (internet) route and your local LAN route, resulting in your Pi becoming unreachable.

I would not expect this to cause a kernel error message. But of course it is not desirable.

Just don't do that. Choose between ethernet and WiFi for a session. You can change from one to the other, but not have both.

Reply to
Rob

Rob Morley plaatste dit op zijn scherm :

Actually I do not need two connections at the same time. Because I had problems with the wlan I left the ethernet cable into the RPi. Strange that this is not possible. On my Windows PC, this is no problem. Anyway, it's not so important.

What I would like is that the wlan gets a fixed IP address.

But if I use this rule: "iface wlan0 inet static"

This rule does not work: "wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf"

Only this works: "iface wlan0 inet manual"

Is there a solution? What does the RPi with the 'manual' option?

Furthermore, I wouldn't spent much time in stabbing with the wlan setting, because I want to spent my time with programming in Python.

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

Yes, you got that right. I just go on with programming in Python today. :-)

See also my reply to Rob Morley.

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

The "manual" setting works because ifplugd is installed and it detects which network interfaces are available and configures them itself.

You might need to remove or disable ifplugd and add a line allow-hotplug wlan0 along with your iface wlan0 inet static, and wpa-roam line

Reply to
Dom

Can you tell me, how you disable ifplugd? I tried it, but it only gets worse. At boot both eth0 and wlan0 don't start.