Recommended book

Modern assembly language programming with the arm processor by Larry D Pyeatt

pub Newnes 2016

ISBN 978-0-12=803698-3

those of us lacking in the ARM ISA and techniques. A little elementary in the opening chapters (eg, converting between number bases) but covers VFP, NEON and some stuff on RPIs but not 64 bit which gets only a passing mention.

Useful for me because no experience of load / store architecture assembly (except PDP8ish)

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

On a sunny day (Sat, 28 Apr 2018 16:45:57 +0100) it happened Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote in :

Others may think differently, and I am an avid assembler programmer, but decided long ago that C was a lot easier on these raspberries. I have written tons of code that run on raspi in C, and it is portable, the applications run. some have even been publiced. Unless you want to do something very special, maybe for speed, there is no reason to use asm. Even then, most speed related stuff (such as mpeg2 decoder for example) has already been implemented, some in hardware.

The big plus for raspis from my POV is the GPIO I/O. That can be addressed using C, there are also the various PLLs that you can use as for example frequency generator, plenty of C code available for that too. Really, having GPIO is the only difference with a small laptop.

Nobody is stopping you to do asm tough, but time.... WHY?

Programming 'for the sake of programming' never made sense to me. it (the program) will have to do something practical, control something, solve something.

I bought a book on ARM architecture in the eighties of last century... No idea what it was called, and never needed it for the pies. In a way I trust gcc, if something does not work, until now, 99% of the time it is my fault, if not then I work around it. Also because some of the architecture of that arm chip is secret. Not good, maybe it sends my data to the CIA.. ;-) Same with any PC with US made chips of course, good thing I do not work for them and write the HDL.

So, let it be, take the easy way, use C. or some other language a bit higher level than asm. For that money you just spend on that book you buy a new Pi3, gcc is free.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje