Re: Raspberry Pi GPU Goes Open Source! $10,000 Bounty For Quake 3

(Added newsgroup comp.sys.raspberry-pi.)

> The VideoCore driver stack, which includes a complete > provided under a 3-clause BSD license; the source release is > accompanied by complete register-level documentation for the graphics > engine >

To quote a different part:

"One of the thorns in the side of the Raspberry Pi crowd has been the closed source GPU. Today that all changes. [Eben Upton] reports that

I didn't think Broadcom were keen to open up more than they already had so this is an interesting and welcome step!

"The Raspberry Pi Foundation is offering $10,000 to the first person to run Quake III at a playable frame rate on Raspberry Pi with open source drivers."

It might be a bit embarrassing is no one can do this....

James

Reply to
James Harris

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere next week someone has some proof of concept, and maybe by the end of the month I can play "The Longest Yard" with my wife [1] :-D.

[1] She actually asked me a few weeks ago if we could play "Quake" (3) again, which we haven't done for years and years.
--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/        Perl Consultancy: http://castleamber.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Bokma

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 18:04:39 -0000, "James Harris" Gave us:

bet it would run faster on the cubox

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

What is the implication for Xbmc? Will the pi be able to decode video more effectively now? I guess at the very least, Milkdrop will improve now!

--
-Toby
Toby Newman

Bet it'd run faster on the Tianhe-2 :-)