Re: Pi logon permission

>I cannot be the first person who has tried this. Any ideas? Can I swap

> >the uid and gid between the pi and my user on the pi? > NFS usermapping is a deep dark labyrinth leading you into NIS, NIS+ > and LDAP. Do you want to explore this, or do you just want something > that works? > > You can certainly swap the usernumbers, as long as you also chown the > files - I can give you a recipe for that if that's helpful.

Well, that is what I wound up doing, after trying many other things from the net that sounded like they'd work in theory but did not in practice. :)

Thanks for the offer. Luckily, except for the stuff that the pi user has installed by default, which I have not gotten around to chown-ing yet, I think I have everything mapped to the right owner. It is working much better now.

Mike

--
 * SLMR 2.1a * I love my XT: I can't type or read faster than 4.77MHz!
Reply to

Thanks. That is pretty much what I did. I set up the root user with a password, so I could delete both users, and then I did a userdel on both pi and my user. Added them back in reverse order, and used the -g uid option just for good measure. Then I went about with chown resetting the ownership of the files.

Once I did that, and removed all the stuff I tried to do on the nfs server that didn't work, it worked like gangbusters. :)

Mike

--
 * SLMR 2.1a * Tell me, is something eluding you, Sunshine?
Reply to

I tried that and still couldn't get it to work. I even added a UID 1001 on the server and added it to the default group that "belongs" to UID 1000, then changed all the files to allow rw to the group. Still no dice.

I finally deleted the users from the pi and added them back so that my UID on both boxes matched. That ate up a few hours, but it worked. :)

Mike

--
 * SLMR 2.1a * Pass the tequila, Manuel...
Reply to

I'd have thought it would be easier to simply change the name of the pi user to whatever you wanted to call it. Then change the name of the home directory and you're done, no messing around with file permissions etc.

Reply to
Rob Morley