Re: link on decktop rasbi

Hi Martin Gregorie

(Mystic Configeration) shortcut on my raspbian your set string my be > righ but I don't understand it. > > My mystic bbs is is in root /mystic > MG> Have you read /mystic/unix-install.txt ?

No I haven't but I will, and I have tried Exec=/mystic/mis -d but doesn't want to appear but will read the unix-install.txt with this one have tried Exec="/mystic/mystic -l and Exec="/mystic/mystic -cfg and both work thank you just have to play around with Exec="/mystic/mis -d" or go the usualy way via terminal ie sudo ./mis -server

okay, I had a quick look at unix-install.txt so will study it and have a go at the above suggestion, thank you

MG> And anyway, why would you ever want to start something like mystic from MG> the desktop when you can configure your RPi to start it automatically MG> as part of the boot process and to stop it automatically when you shut MG> the RPi down?

cool,thats sound like a good suggestion.

MG> You'll probably need a copy of "Linux in a Nutshell" at some point, so MG> you may as well get one now if you don't already have it or something MG> similar, such as "Linux for Dummies" - a bad choice of title, since MG> most of the "... for Dummies" books are good to have if you don't MG> already have some knowledge of what an operating system does and how to MG> configure and run it. The "Nutshell" book assumes you already know MG> another operating system quite well, while the "Dummies" books don't MG> assume much prior knowledge at all.

okay, I get a "Linux for Dummies" and study it.

Thank you for your help with this.

Ian S 2nd Choice Core Nz

MG> -- MG> Martin | martin at MG> Gregorie | gregorie dot org

MG> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 MG> * Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | FidoUsenet Gateway MG> (3:770/3) ___ MultiMail/Win v0.52

Reply to
Ian Segers

Good move.

An advance warning - its unlikely that book will say anything about Raspbian, so just remember that Raspbian is essentially just Debian Linux recompiled and tweaked to run on an RPi, so anything it says that is Debian-specific should apply to Raspbian.

Try to get the latest version of "Linux for Dummies" because things have changed fairly recently in the way that a Linux system boots up and starts or stops server processes like mystic. The old way was called 'sysVinit' while the new one is called systemd, so if possible you want a book that talks about systemd. Some information sources you may find useful, though you should get comfortable with the way Linux works and the way it is documented before tackling them:

This is the home website for Debian and its clones such as Raspbian. There's a lot of good info there, but the mother lode is:

This contains everything you'll ever need to know about Debian Linux. There's a lot in it, but its fairly readable and well laid out.

This will be very useful if you want to build a systemd service to start, stop and generally manage mystic, though probably too detailed if you just want to know how to use systemd to manage start, stop or monitor programs and services running on your RPi.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Hi Martin Gregorie

MG> An advance warning - its unlikely that book will say anything about MG> Raspbian, so just remember that Raspbian is essentially just Debian MG> Linux recompiled and tweaked to run on an RPi, so anything it says that MG> is Debian-specific should apply to Raspbian.

Okay, thank you for all this information, I have saved it all and will study it.

I have look in a copy of shops for "Linux for Dummies" but no joy

I have searched the internet and I am not unsure if any of these are the latest per systemd, but they should be

amazon.com

linix all n one for dummies 6 edition

linux for dummies 9 the edition

do you think one of these on be okay

I did try to search for systemd in online reference, but I did't find anything but just be me.

Thank you

Ian S 1st Choice Core Sbbs Nz

MG> Try to get the latest version of "Linux for Dummies" because things MG> have changed fairly recently in the way that a Linux system boots up MG> and starts or stops server processes like mystic. The old way was MG> called 'sysVinit' while the new one is called systemd, so if possible MG> you want a book that talks about systemd.

MG> Some information sources you may find useful, though you should get MG> comfortable with the way Linux works and the way it is documented MG> before tackling them:

MG> This is the home website for Debian and its clones such as Raspbian. MG> There's a lot of good info there, but the mother lode is:

MG> This contains everything you'll ever need to know about Debian Linux. MG> There's a lot in it, but its fairly readable and well laid out.

MG> This will be very useful if you want to build a systemd service to MG> start, stop and generally manage mystic, though probably too detailed MG> if you just want to know how to use systemd to manage start, stop or MG> monitor programs and services running on your RPi.

MG> -- MG> Martin | martin at MG> Gregorie | gregorie dot org

MG> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 MG> * Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | FidoUsenet Gateway MG> (3:770/3) === MultiMail/Win32 v0.49

Reply to
Sneaky