Re: ffmpeg vs avconv

Are the avconv & ffmpeg command-lines still compatible enough that I

>could symlink ffmpeg to avconv & expect get-iplayer to carry through?

Most of the time, yes.

But IME get_iplayer will look for either anyway.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

get_iplayer 2.99 (latest) does, but some conversions need versions

get_iplayer but I forget which.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's in jessie, in stretch we're back to ffmpeg:

% apt-cache policy ffmpeg libav-tools ffmpeg: Installed: (none) Candidate: 7:3.2.4-1 Version table: 7:3.2.4-1 500 500

stretch/main armhf Packages libav-tools: Installed: (none) Candidate: 7:3.2.4-1 Version table: 7:3.2.4-1 500 500
stretch/main armhf Packages 6:11.8-1~deb8u1+rpi1 500 500
jessie/main armhf Packages

And libav-tools/3.2.4-1 in stretch is just a compatibility package:

% apt-cache show libav-tools Package: libav-tools Source: ffmpeg Version: 7:3.2.4-1 Installed-Size: 90 [..] Depends: ffmpeg [..] Description: Compatibility links for libav-tools (transitional package) FFmpeg is the leading multimedia framework, able to decode, encode, transcode, mux, demux, stream, filter and play pretty much anything that humans and machines have created. It supports the most obscure ancient formats up to the cutting edge. . This is a transitional package that provides the following links: * avconv -> ffmpeg * avplay -> ffplay * avprobe -> ffprobe This package can be removed, when nothing uses the av* program names anymore.

gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 Click to see the full signature

[snip]

Aha, maybe it's time to upgrade.

--
In general, I find that calligraphers are just about the nicest people
I've ever met.                                        --- Donald Knuth