Raspian Jessie and Stretch

Can someone explain the difference?

Thanks John Carter

Reply to
John Carter

The difference is that Stretch is the latest stable release. As such, it has newer versions of nearly all software packages.

Reply to
ray carter

jessie = 8.x, stretch = 9.x

for a more complete list.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

Moreover, Jessie is now unsupported bij de RPi foundation, meaning you get no or very rarely any updates from the standard repositories. Not even security updates! So you should probably move Pis that are connected to the internet to Stretch some time soon.

Reply to
A. Dumas

As others have said, a major version upgrade. However, the major upgrade is not without problems like serial port no longer accessible (without making changes), GPS software failing and needing changes, software not working, etc. etc.

Be prepared for some clean-up effort should you upgrade (which arguably you should...).

--
Cheers,
David

Has anybody posted a description of how to upgrade and what to watch for? A link would be very helpful!

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

There should be an entry somewhere at raspberrypi.org. I'll explain:

First get installed version up to date: sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (if any packages were skipped in upgrade)

Next - point repositories at 'stretch' vice 'jessie' sudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list and replace occurrances of 'jessie' with 'stretch' also edit files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and replace jessie with stretch

Next - go for it: sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo reboot

That should do it for you. It will take some time since there are a LOT of packages and files involved.

Reply to
ray carter

First hit:

Reply to
A. Dumas

By the way, it?s Raspbian, not Raspian.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Thank you very much! It's more involved than I expected, but it's also a more drastic upgrade than I was looking for. Seems like the best approach is to save /home on usb flash and attempt the upgrade. If it flops, then do a clean install and restore /home.

At this point the pi account is locked on my machine, will that interfere with upgrading? Seemed to me that the pi account is rather integral to the system, sort of like root on *bsd.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 02:30:37 +0000 (UTC), bob prohaska declaimed the following:

The "sudo" command is used to temporarily elevate the account you are logged in as to run "root" commands.

Though it may be easier to just create a tar archive of /home, (s)ftp that archive to your "mainframe", create a new SD card with recent NOOBS image, install that and go through the NOOBS configuration stuff, (s)ftp the tar archive to the new Raspbian, and untar it over the default /home of the new SD card.

Dennis Lee Bieber

That's exactly what he said in the part you cut.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I did this recently using these (similar) instructions (although I didn't use the -y options.).

It worked quite well, unlike the previous time.

However, I don't have the rpi-update command. Is it obsolete now?

--
I take no pleasure in being right in my dark predictions about the
fate of our military intervention in the heart of the Muslim world. It
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adam Funk

are

(s)ftp

If you've put anything in /usr/local, back that up too.

/usr/local is an empty directory structure on newly installed Linux systems and should not be updated by system updates and upgrades. But, if you tend to separate your programming projects into different users, as I do, then /usr/local/bin is the place to put the programs and scripts that you use in all users and /usr/local/man/man1 is the place to put their manpages. Depending on the distro you may need to extend $PATH and /etc/man_db.conf so they are automatically accessed.

If you import and compile source archives then you *should* put the compiled executables and manpages in /usr/local as well rather than in /usr/bin and /usr/man/*

Why? Because this prevents them stomping on system software and from being stomped on by new and/or renamed system software.

Similarly for locally defined configuration files (they go in /usr/local/etc) and libraries (/usr/local/lib).

I go one step further as well, by moving /usr/local to /home/local and replacing it with a symlink because this makes sure that your binaries and manpages will be backed up whenever you back up /home:

sudo mv /usr/local /home sudo ln -s /home/local /usr/local

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Hi,

I have it on Raspbian/Debian stretch :

# sudo rpi-update *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom *** Performing self-update % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

100 13403 100 13403 0 0 7152 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 7152 *** Relaunching after update *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom *** We're running for the first time *** Backing up files (this will take a few minutes) *** Backing up firmware *** Backing up modules 4.9.80-v7+ ############################################################# WARNING: This update bumps to rpi-4.14.y linux tree Be aware there could be compatibility issues with some drivers Discussion here:
Would you like to proceed? (y/N) *** Downloading specific firmware revision (this will take a few minutes)

# apt-cache policy rpi-update rpi-update:

*** 20140705 900 900
stretch/main armhf Packages 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Reply to
yamo'

Hello Martin!

20 Mar 18 19:17, you wrote to Tauno Voipio:

MG> Another approach is to write a script something like:

MG> ========================================== MG> #!/bin/bash

MG> list="" MG> list="$list package1" MG> list="$list package2"

MG> sudo apt_get install $list MG> ===========================================

MG> Keep this in your usual login directory and update it each time you add MG> or remove packages. Then run it after a clean install.

MG> I've done this for years with Fedora Linux, though now it has a good, MG> reliable version upgrade in situ process. But, being a belt and braces MG> type, I still maintain the list on my Fedora boxes (though the command MG> there is 'dnf install', so it was natural to do the same on my RPi.

If you want you get a list of installed packages on a debian like system. use:

dpkg --get-selections > packages.list

Save the list somewhere, where it is safe.

On the new system do the reverse.

dpkg --set-selections < pakages.list

apt-get upgrade

should then install the packages that were aditionally installed on the previous system.

If the apt-get upgrade does not install the packages from the list, google for examples with "dkpg --get-selections"

Kees

Reply to
Kees van Eeten

Used to be that it was not included in Raspbian Lite, maybe left out of the regular version now too? They do seem to have re-upped their "don't use rpi-update!" efforts. Can be retrofitted with "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install rpi-update".

Reply to
A. Dumas

It's somewhat dangerous. I used that on a previous version and it seemed to kill the rpi camera access - I finally went with a virgin install.

Reply to
ray carter

The major downside (as I see it) of going with a new install is that you loose whatever additional packages you may have installed over time - so you need to add them again.

Reply to
ray carter

You can save the package selections and import them to the new installation. See . Direct upgrade from Jessie to Stretch is hairy and prone to fail.

--

-TV
Reply to