raspbian xrdp / remote desktop connection client Windows 95 ?

Hello,

I have a Raspberry PI B+ with raspbian installed.

I intend to use it as a server without any monitor/display /keyboard/mouse attached.

I have installed xrdp and the Raspberry PI B+ is configured to have a static IP-address not in the range of addresses handled by the dhcp-server. . From Windows 7 I can easily connect to the Raspberry Pi via the "remote desktop connection client" which ships along with Windows 7. xrdp-session starts and everything works nicely.

But my father still works with Windows 95.

(All machines in question are in the same LAN, connected to the same network switch via ethernet-cables.)

On his computer he has installed an earlier release of the remote desktop connection client (mstsc.exe) as can be downloaded at

.

When on his Win95-machine the remote desktop connection client is started, it takes about a minute until the client delivers the message "the client could not connect to the remote computer".

What could be the reason for this?

Is it possible at all to establish a connection between a Win95-remote desktop-client and raspbian xrdp-server?

Are (some of ) the protocols in use with the earlier Win95-client-release incompatible to the protocols in use both with raspbian xrdp and the later Win7-client-release?

Sincerely

Timo

Reply to
Timo

I think this may be relevant:

Rob Morley

Probably yes. I think it will work with VNC instead of RDP. However, it will probably put more load on the Pi.

Reply to
Rob

you are probably better off to ditch the desktop & use SSH instead putty is a popular for windows PC's but there are other

if you use install xming as well then it is possible to use x-tunnelling to run graphical applications as well as accessing the command line

--
In Oz, never say "krizzle kroo" to a Woozy.
Reply to

[...]

I use telnet from Win95 using the old deamons (telnet, telnetd), ssh for ot her systems that support it. MobaXterm for XP+ and normal X forwarding. I h ad decided VNC and such from the Pi was too much load as is firefox. I use it to receive forwarded screens and VNC, more rarely to send X screens. I h adn't tried rdp because VNC was so slow. With Linux most things can be hand led via command line and I generally do it that way. The B & B+ are both sl ow for Ethernet as well, about 1M bandwidth from what I've been seeing even though it should be able to do 4.7M in half duplex (it is 10 BaseT) but si nce the drives have to be USB they use some of the bandwidth yielding 1M in and out of the USB drives to and from the network. It's better used as a s mart terminal for other machines or just a Music player (alsaplayer based). It only handles mp3 & mp4 because of the hardware support.

Reply to
bcw142