Raspbian vide performance poor

Just bought my first Pi a Pi3 principally to run a Docker/WebServer, it seems pretty good for this so far.

However as is the way with these things I was curious as to if it could be used for a HTPC. Raspbian/Pixel seemed ok as an OS. Chromium web browsing was a bit slow but not too bad. Video performance was poor (I think I used vlc) and iPlayer was also poor, unusable full screen on my TV.

So I tried Libreelec. Video performance was fine, Streamed HD TV, H264, Youtube all good. It even played some of my smaller HEVC (H265) files without problems (bigger ones stuttered.) However Libreelec didn't have a proper browser and the Youtube interface was terrible (even if the stuff played ok).

So the question: is possible to get a set up which combines the good browser of Raspbian Pixel with the video performance of Libreelec.

Pixel with vlc would be ideal if it can be configured correctly.

Reply to
Nick

LibreElec is a minimal OS around the Kodi media player, the Pi3 is powerful enough to be able to run Kodi from Raspbian as required.

---druck

druck

I tried a default install of Kodi from Raspbian Pixel. It is terrible and doesn't seem to be able to handle HD TV. Possibly this is due to overhead from Raspbian Pixel, possibly due to Kodi configuration. Either way it seems that the people who built Libreelec knew what they were doing and I don't.

Reply to
Nick

At one time there was much hope that the graphics software of Raspbian could be developed to make use of the GPU. From what I've seen of the "experimental GL driver" the games work well but nothing else does.

Can anybody offer insight as to what happened?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

It did look suspiciously like the GPU wasn't being used properly. BBC iPlayer was happy to decode video in a small window but stuttered on full screen mode.

Reply to
Nick