Raspbian: update-alternatives goof-up

I was trying to set 'emacs-nw' (for emacs -nw) as the editor for sudoedit, crontab, &c, but I copied what I've done previously on Ubuntu systems without checking the links first.

So I did:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/sensible-editor editor /root/bin/emacs-nw 2 sudo update-alternatives --set editor /root/bin/emacs-nw

then discovered that the link on Raspbian is '/usr/bin/editor'. Oops! I've tried to fix it this way:

sudo update-alternatives --remove editor /root/bin/emacs-nw sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/editor editor /root/bin/emacs-nw 2 sudo update-alternatives --set editor /root/bin/emacs-nw

but I'm stuck in a situation where if I don't put a symlink from '/usr/bin/sensible-editor' to '/usr/bin/editor', I get this sort of error:

$ crontab -e /bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/sensible-editor: not found crontab: "/usr/bin/sensible-editor" exited with status 127

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

--
Slade was the coolest band in England. They were the kind of guys
that would push your car out of a ditch.         --- Alice Cooper