Raspberrypi 2

I see you rushed to help. :-/

Reply to
mm0fmf

I wasn't having a dig at you. "Start again with a fresh install" is a whole lot easier with RPi than it is with Windows, and probably the best way to approach the OP's problem, given that he had spent ages tweaking numerous settings trying to get it to work.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ah, in which case, a thousand apologies. No offense taken.

Yes, it annoys me when the default fix for Windows problems is reinstall. In some cases it's needed when the machine has acquired a few hundred viruses, normally through user interaction with every piece of spam email. But often something fixable happens and it's just blown away and reinstalled as the reinstall is relatively painless.

I've had to do it a few times. Mostly because the system was damaged through hardware failures or bad drivers BSODing and once when I was not thinking using gParted on a Linux/Windows laptop... oops!

The Pi is great for tinkering because you can keep so many SDcard images and it's quick to recover complete "stupidoopitydude" actions.

I only updated a Pi here to Jessie to learn about systemd before my 24/7 Debian system is migrated. Better to learn and bork a Pi than a machine that is needed to work.

Reply to
mm0fmf

On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 19:27:18 +0000, mm0fmf declaimed the following:

Strange... I think I've only (re)installed Windows ONCE... And even that was not to "fix" anything.

I had a laptop that had shipped with W95OSR2 as W98 was running late. I received an install disk for W98 about 6 weeks later. I installed W98 about

4 years later -- when I'd bought a new laptop and was cleaning out all my remnants from the old one.

I also ran for decades without a virus checker -- and when I'd receive a trial period checker with some other software, it found only two suspect files... BOTH were already in my quarantine area waiting for me to delete them.

On my current laptop, the biggest "virus" was 1-year McAfee provided with it. It took me weeks of hand editing the registry, registry cleaners, and deleting files to get rid of it. I'd installed something with fonts, and the added fonts apparently confused the McAfee control panel. Hard to do an uninstall when the control panel had no next or hot-zone for buttons.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hear, hear! I've had the same experience with anti-virus programs--and why aren't all their "scanning" I/Os queued at low priority, so they don't interfere with the work I'm trying to do?

I've used Wintel machines since 1983, since my employer used them for all office applications, and I've *never* had to reinstall Windows.

I'm careful, but I don't think I'm unusually so. Why all the "wipe and reinstall" mania? And I've installed hundreds of apps, both commercial and non-commercial.

I do recall having to restore once several years ago to dig out from a bad CD-ROM driver (yes, that many years ago ;-), but that's it.

Now back to the Raspberry Pi, which is already in progress...

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to

I keep a pile of known working SD cards handy.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Absolutely agree about virus checkers etc., I now run mostly Linux but have a few XP and Win7 machines around (and as virtual machines). None of them run any virus/malware checkers and are so much faster and easier to manage as a consequence.

All the "this machine is running very slow" problems I get brought to me turn out to be some sort of anti-virus mechanism hogging the processor or the disk.

--
Chris Green
Reply to