Raspberrypi 2

Well after attempting to upgrade to the latest Rasbian resulted in failure (baulked at the Wolfram data). With messages saying the upgrade had failed or similar I copied the latest disc image to an sd card and I am using that. However despite installing wicd curses I have completely failed to get into the internet or wlan. I kept a copy of the original files from the pi B+ and have spent hours trying various entries in network/interfaces and wpa_supplicant and reading forums? and advice but nothing looks like working. I have found nothing like the previous wifi-config which scanned for the connection. The advice on filling in the wicd panel left me quite confused and I now see the point of the 'Best of Luck' comment. The messages I get when clicking on 'network prefrences' is ETH0 link is down/wlan0 is not associated.

Are there any other apps I need to install? Is the Pi2 Rasbian different to the previous version in the wireless department? different dongle required?

Can anyone point me at any more advice on the latest rasbian/Pi2. At least I have now got the 2.9 version of Sonic Pi, and I can get on the internet with the cable

Malcolm Smith PS sorry for the long ramble

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire

Never mind all this graphical nonsense that hides scary things from you. Get yourself a root shell, then this stuff can be fixed.

ifconfig wlan0

will either give "error fetching interface information: Device not found" or some information on what the wireless network interface thinks it's doing. If you get the latter, you're fine on the driver front. (There's very little difference between Linux versions in terms of required drivers - this isn't Windows.)

If you have a viable wlan0 you can use the technique from a blog post I wrote last year:

(I think the Pi prefers /etc/wpa/wpa_supplicant.conf rather than the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf that I used there.)

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

[snip]

THIS GIVES ME 6 lines of info re Tx and Rx. Now to look at your blog

Thanks Roger

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Well I have tried that without any success. Two things, there is already quite a few entries in wpa_supplicant.conf which may be muddying the water and if I try 'ip addr' the message 'NO CARRIER BROADCAST' occurs for both eth0 and wlan0. I am supposed to be using a static address but no address is shown

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

On 29/02/2016 21:26, T M Smith wrote: []

You could try the latest OS - Jessie. I never could get the graphical setup for Wi-Fi to work on Wheezy, but trying with an RPi 2 and Jessie the graphical setup worked straight away.

--
Cheers,
David

I am using Jessie and having no success establishing a wireless connection to the internet. Are there any checks I could carry out to see if there is a problem with the board. The donngle works OK on a Pi B+

Malcolm Smith

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Please post the result of running:

/sbin/ifconfig wlan0

Reply to
mm0fmf

Run out of time tonight but will do that tomorrow evening.

T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Wow! Thunderbird really screwed this one up. I'm having trouble with my Internet connection and Tbird put a message from another group into this group (sci.electronics.design). But notice the subject line is from the thread in sci.electronics.design and does not match the message from comp.sys.raspberry-pi. Then on top of that it attributed the message to the person in this group.

WTF!

--

Rick
Reply to

Just accept it. Computers hate you.

If it makes you feel any better they hate me too :(

--
W J G
Reply to

I have also found that iwconfig is a good tool to use diagnosing recalcitrant wifi hardware.

private property.

Karl Marx
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

iw config wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr c8:3a:35:c0:16:d1 UPBROADCAST MULTI CAST MTU:1500 Metric 1 Rx packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 Tx packets:0 errors:0 dropped :0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen: 1000 Rx bytes:0 (0.0 B) Tx bytes:0 (0.0 B)

iw wlan0 Interface wlan0 ifindex 3 wdev 0x1 addr c8:3a:35:c0:16:d1 type managed wiphy 0

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Which Dongle? There were some notes to the effect that some don't work! I've even had this problem with Win 7 and run of the mill PCs!

Reply to
Charlie

Both my dongles are Tenda, with no other markings

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

After further invesigation :- SMSC 9512/9514 Fast EthernetAdapter

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

That's the USB hub and wired ethernet controller and not a Wifi dongle.

Reply to
mm0fmf

[snip]

How about :- Ralink technology RT5370 Wireless adaptor. It is shown as installed but it does not appear to be working.

Can anyone give me a type that does work with Pi2

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

The RT5370 works fine. It's your setup that is wrong.

Start again with a fresh Raspbian Jessie install with nothing from before.

Plug in the ethernet and check that works. Update and upgrade to get the latest fixes installed from the repos. Check you have the Ralink irmware in case it is not included in Jessie by default.

At this point Wifi should be working but not connecting to anything. Then follow this guide:

At this point you should have basic Wifi.

Reply to
mm0fmf

[snip]

Thankyou MM. I followed your instructions to the letter and the final outcome was as you said. Not sure where I had gone wrong earlier. I was even using the same Modmypi script. Now I can mmove on. Thanks again

Malcolm Smith

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

That almost sounds like a MCSE solution. :-\

Reply to
Rob Morley