Raspberry Pi Xorg support

Does anyone know if/when the Pi will provide kernel GPU support for Xorg?

Currently all desktop operations use the frame buffer - a pig if you're running a a program that does a lot of drawing :(

--
W J G
Reply to

Probably not until a proper VC4/KMS driver gets written. Pi4 has the FKMS thing but Pi3 and earlier, don't hold you breath.

Reply to
TCW

Hmmm, Well I'm running Rasbian Buster on a Pi4 and a program using FLTK is dog slow when using any of the toolkit's drawing routines :(

The same code is fine on any Intel or AMD based machine.

--
W J G
Reply to

ARM cpus are not in the same league as AMD / Intel. Can't expect much from a $35 machine. =\

Next year, Raspbian should move to the newer Linux 5.4 kernel which should help but until Raspberry Pi moves *away* from Broadcom CPU/GPUs, we're all stuck. Broadcom is all closed source so, unlike AMD/NVidia GPUS, it's not easy for someone to reverse engineer it to make it do what we want and run well on Xorg server. We can only hope that the Ubunut's or other good distros of the world fix themselves up enough to work better than Raspbian. =\

Reply to
TCW

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 20:30:11 -0600, TCW declaimed the following:

The best I've located is

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber