Raspberry Pi node red flow editor very slow when using Modbus

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:52:17 +0000 (UTC), Kiwi User declaimed the following:

Which post I saw after submitting my evaluation

Possibly of more interest

""" Note: the default browser included in Raspbian, Epiphany, has some quirks that mean certain keyboard short-cuts do not work within the Node-RED editor. We strongly recommend installing the Firefox-ESR browser instead:

sudo apt-get install firefox-esr

More recent build include Chromium - which also works fine but can be rather slow on a Pi1 or Zero. """

Apparently it is "rather slow" on an RPI-3 too

The OP might want to give Firefox on the RPI a try (meaning a third experimental run with TOP and browser on the unit).

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hello Chaps.

Thanks for the feedback. I was also under the conclusion the memory draw was massive when loading Chromium. The problem i'm having is not just with Chromium. It happens on every browser app i install. Below is a screen shot using, Vivaldi. FireFox, LuaKit do the exact same. It is almost like it cannot handle the Graphics or java used to drive the program nodes. Is there a way of to determine this. I also followed some tuning tips for Chromium. basically using the web settings page and turning things on and off.

Surely this can be fixed ?

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Dannaz Perth

That is no longer the default browser, Chromium is.

Reply to
A. Dumas

D'oh! Sorry, never mind.

Reply to
A. Dumas

No :) The Raspberry Pi is a very limited computer, obviously. Any full-featured, or even not so full-featured, app will test it. E.g., modern top spec mobile phones are a lot more powerful.

Next generation Pi4 is definitely in the works (just makes sense that they would be developing now) but almost certainly not for this year; I think the Pi3 was supposed to last at least 3 years. So maybe next year? They do have a birthday comping up and often launch new hardware in February. Maybe a Zero with Pi3 chip? Although that would draw a lot more power and may not be the desired direction. From wiki:

Feb17: ZeroW Jan17: CM3 Oct16: Pi2 B 1.2 May16: Zero 1.3 Feb16: Pi3 B Nov15: Zero Feb15: Pi2 B Nov14: Pi1 A+ Jul14: Pi1 B+ Apr14: CM1 Feb13: Pi1 A Apr12: Pi1 B

Reply to
A. Dumas

Maybe not. IIRC Node-red uses JSON to communicate with other processes, which implies that there's quite a large lump of JavaScript running on the web browser to convert messages from Node-red into a graphical display. This obviously consumes CPU cycles, reinforcing the idea that running the browser remotely on a more powerful host is the way to go.

BTW I don't see why you don't like this approach, which works really well here: I do almost everything from this laptop, connecting via SSH to my house server or my RPi as needed. All machines have SSH configured for X11 forwarding, so I can sit in front of anything with an attached screen and run both command line and graphical programs on anything else on my network, including the ADSL router.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Hello ME Kiwi.

I also use remote option and yes it works fine. My problem is these devices are deployed in remote areas. I don't have the authority to enable or purchase port forwarding from the affiliated ISP.

I use teamspeak to log in remotely and make changes to the RPI. My work around this whole thing is to turn the Uart serial port off. Reset the RPI. then make changes to node red. close it . enable Uart serial. Restart and away it goes. For de-buggin its good to see the Nodes working in real time. My only other option is to pair two RPI's together. one as the gate way and the other as the driver for node red. I would be able to remotely enter the gateway and then view the node red flow via a local network.

I really wish i could keep this whole thing to 1 device and De-bug.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Dannaz Perth