Raspberry Pi "merger"

"We?ve got some great news to share today: the Raspberry Pi Foundation
is joining forces with the CoderDojo Foundation, in a merger that will
give many more young people all over the world new opportunities to
learn how to be creative with technology."

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-and-coderdojo-join-forces/

Good thing? Bad thing? AISI it depends on what kind of "merger" they mean.

"In technical terms, the Raspberry Pi Foundation is becoming a corporate
member of the CoderDojo Foundation (which is a bit like being a
shareholder, but without any financial interest). I will also join the
board of the CoderDojo Foundation as a director. The merger is subject
to approval by Irish regulators."

It sounds as though the Foundation will maintain its independence
despite merging with another organisation.

--
James Harris

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"
On Fri, 26 May 2017 11:08:49 +0100

I think it's a bad thing because even if many CoderDojos are good the
CoderDojo Foundation is evil.

I don't like the CoderDojo Foundation because they do not allow mentors
to criticize the Koran or the terror of the Islamic State in their own
private time outside the CoderDojo. I did this and was banned from
CoderDojo Lund and also from starting new CoderDojos in poor areas of
my town, where I live myself, by CoderDojo Foundation. This was because
some Islamic State official falsely accused me of being
islamophobic and racist, which is very false. I was serving in local
CoderDojos for many years before that. I e.g. predicted in January 2016
that the Islamic State would attack children and thought we at
CoderDojo should increase the security. I was accused of being
exclusive.

This comment (above) was censored from raspberrypi.org, and this shows
they can't handle free speech.

For more info about this case, see:
https://politikmobil.wordpress.com/2016/08/20/coderdojo-foundation-does-not
-allow-mentors-to-link-to-critique-of-the-quran-in-a-private-discussion/

I also have a recording of the last phone call from the CoderDojo
Foundation:
https://youtu.be/fXdqEEOmU4E (52 min)

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"

I know that you didn't quite say that your right to free speech was
violated, but, https://xkcd.com/1357/

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"

So you believe that Internet etc should be censored! May you rot in Hell!

All of us have to stand up and control bama'sbig Government

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"
On Sun, 28 May 2017 22:15:37 -0500

That will be a big whoosh then.

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"

You are the victim of a common misconception. The comments column in
somebody's personal and private blog is not "the internet" and the blog
owner alone decides, who can post there and about what. This simple fact
still holds true, when it's a large blog like Fecesbook.

The internet was meant to and had the means to free us from monopolies
and what to people do? They all flock into the same restricted private
spaces and empower their own new monopolies to tell them what and what
not to do. It's their choice and complaining afterwards is just
ridiculous.

On my party I decide whom to invite and whom not. Hold your own party
(yes, it's up to you then, to get the snacks and the beer in and from
your own money, this is how our world works) or go to the public market
place, but do not tell me you have rights in my private home. You
haven't.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"

Corrections duly noted.
            Axel

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"
On Mon, 29 May 2017 13:47:56 +0100

    Yep but fortunately for the rest of us they think internet==www.

    So you VPN out from under the restrictions and emerge in a saner
country.

    I like it - well almost, the thought of a naked Donald Trump is
less than appealing.

    Splort.

    Yep decentralised and uncontrollable.

    That was tried a long time ago, it didn't succeed.

    Nah we can tunnel UUCP across encrypted links more easily than
using modems.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

Fuck off.. The snipped content was against Internet Censorship.
As for not inviting someone to your shitty blog... Best you take that
apple up with the NSA in America and a dozen others in other country's.

All of us have to stand up and control bama'sbig Government

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"

So tell then to go fuck themselves and to stick their backdoored
encryption up their arses.

Join ORG if you haven't already done so.

No problem there - that sounds like a private site. Private site owners
(still) have the right to tell anybody they dislike to piss off, at least
until anybody in their government is stupid enough to listen to the
politically correct rantings of the current bunch of Amurikan liberal
arts students who think the "A Free Internet" means that site owners have
no right to control the contents of their site.

Stupid site owner. Should have told the Feds to boil their heads and
banned the idiot.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I believe that it will be, and in fact it already is.

"should" implies the context of some absolute moral code, but I have
never found one.

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"

I don't see where he expressed any sort of belief, but the comic
pointed to by the link seems to... and you didn't "get it!"
--
Jim H

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"
On Sun, 28 May 2017 22:44:25 +0200

You have the right to not support an organization that is against free
speech in comments to their articles. In this age with terrorism
against children we should be able to discuss how to best stop it. But
CoderDojo and Raspberry Pi Foundation does not even allow mentors to
have a very private discussion about this topic completely outside of
CoderDojo.

I have a recording of the last phone meeting from the CoderDojo
Foundation:
https://youtu.be/fXdqEEOmU4E (52 min)

I was active mentor in CoderDojo once a week from 2013-2016.

This was how I started:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/coderdojo-lund/33Ohm2Xo7s4/CFUl1byEpK4J

This was my last message so far:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/coderdojo-lund/bbIbHuDACFQ/EPH9q1-aBgAJ

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"
On Mon, 29 May 2017 10:12:43 +0200

Erm...
If your very private conversation was completely outside, how would they know
about it?

--
W J G

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"
On Mon, 29 May 2017 09:58:42 +0100

I answered a friends post on Facebook and he had a friend that was a
radical islamist, and that guy contacted CoderDojo and lied about me.
It's all explained in the link below the video. This islamist had
probably searched online and noticed that I was a mentor in CoderDojo.
He didn't normally have anything to do with CoderDojo. He just wanted
in general to destroy what he perceived as threats to the islamist
agenda. CoderDojo should not be tricked by this.

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"

CFUl1byEpK4J
aBgAJ

So it wasn't a comet made in private it was a public statement

Posting on Facebook unless you have restricted it to invited friends only
(& I don't trust Facebook to honour anything regarding privacy) then you
are doing the equivalent of taking out a full page add in the Times.

the same applies to twitter & all of the other social media (including
this newsgroup) that people use insist on misusing for "private"
conversations.

--
There is nothing more silly than a silly laugh.
        -- Gaius Valerius Catullus

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"
On Mon, 29 May 2017 12:27:25 GMT

I replied to a post to only friends.

But I think a CoderDojo mentor should be allowed to write what I wrote
even if they do so publicly. There is nothing illegal about it. But I
don't think one should discuss politics inside the CoderDojo since
there one should only teach programming.

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"

Which is exactly my point too. But the same applies here, even if
perhaps less strictly enforced so for me this is the EOD. And apologies
to all those annoyed by our straying off into politics.

Axel

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Raspberry Pi "merger"

Clearly not as it was visible to someone who found it offensive

whilst i defend your right to hold & voice whatever opinions you may have
- even if i do not agree with them I do have sympathy with CoderDojo on
this.

As a mentor you are in a position of authority & it is right for Coder
Dojo to make sure its mentors are not trying to politically motivate
students (in any direction) BUT if there is no indication that these
opinions are being expressed in that environment then their actions as
described do seem heavy handed.

--
Shedenhelm's Law:
    All trails have more uphill sections than they have downhill

The post was only seen by his Facebook-friends, but I didn't know he
had friends with strange opinions. I linked to an article that claimed
that there is a connection between what it says in the Koran and
islamic terrorist attacks. I think that's rather evident and
uncontroversial. A friends Facebook-friends are not necessarily my
personal friends.

I don't discuss politics at all in CoderDojo, but only help with
programming or electronics. But if the children want to upload projects
that are against the rules of a website I would inform about that.

What CoderDojo Foundations did was that they said I wasn't allowed to
start a new CoderDojo, but I am allowed to join existing CoderDojos as
a mentor. It's only that there are no other CoderDojos near me. It
was the champion of the local CoderDojo that don't want me there. I
think I should be allowed to start a new CoderDojo where I live, which
is rather far away from the local CoderDojo I was a mentor in. Now, I
can of course start something similar to a CoderDojo, but doesn't have
the CoderDojo name. I could e.g. start a CodeClub, but now that might be
impossible since CoderDojo and Raspberry Pi have merged, and then
perhaps the CodeClubs will become CoderDojos, and you can't perhaps
start new CodeClubs.

Site Timeline