Raspberry Pi 3 - Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, 64-bit, 1.2GHz

This is from the last page spread of the MagPi magazine released today:

So wifi and bluetooth rather than USB3, GbE, or SATA. Ho hum.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Also on El Reg:

Might explain why Chinese PI2s have been appearing on the UK market (I got one from CPC last week), if the Welsh factory has switched to the new model.

--
Dave
Reply to

Hmm processor originally for phones made in stripped down version become Pi A/B/B+/A+/2....

Now we get 3 with adding BACK the Wifi and bluetooth

No doubt 4 will have the touchscreen

and by Pi 5 we will have the G4/G5 phone back

Full circle back to a phone again.

Just like Windows, Mac et al trying to make everything look like a phone...

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul

I think it was for set top boxes for cable/satellite TV etc. not phones.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Pi 3 technical specification sheet at Farnell:

Dave Farrance

need to "upgrade"?

"The LEDs will change position". There don't appear to be any LEDs on the photo (post-certification prototype) in the datasheet. Like a Spot the Ball competition. :-)

Reply to
Hils

s/"post-certification prototype"/"presumably a post-certification prototype"/

Sorries.

Reply to
Hils

They are at the bottom left ACT and PWR.

Reply to
Steve Drain

Yes, they've changed position from "on-board" to "somewhere else". Simple!

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

Energy-saving virtual LEDs?

Reply to
Hils

So what's a 64-bit ARMv7? Also virtual like the LEDs?

Reply to
A. Dumas

I sought but did not find. Presumably the others have been removed to make room for the new stuff with the same form factor.

Reply to
Hils

What exactly is Chinese? Is it the bare board that is manufactured in China, and the components assembled onto it in Wales; or is it completely manufactured and assembled in China?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Higton

Hmmm... so both the MagPi advert and now this datasheet say 64-bit, but either that or the ARMv7 is wrong. Well, early leaks of information about the Pi2 got the core architecture wrong, so hopefully the same is true here and the Pi3 will actually prove to have an ARMv8 core.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 08:51:16 +0000, Dave Farrance declaimed the following:

Interesting page... opens with single sheet of solid white. (And I didn't even know Office 2007 supported PDF generation... 2010/2013 I know had PDF export options [why couldn't M$ just have provided a functional stand-alone PDF "printer" usable from all applications?])

Dennis Lee Bieber

For almost every user there is no need to upgrade.

I stuck with Word 97 until last year, when I started to use Word 2010 bundled with a new laptop. Since then I've been kicking myself learning to deal with completely rearranged menus/"ribbons".

Things I used to do trivially are now "find the option" exercises, and "help" is another several minute distraction... ;-(

I suppose I'll be glad I'm making this annoying investment when I just have to have an italic subscript on a superscript in a footnote. ;-)

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to

It's OK, others did. I use PDF Creator.

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to
Michael J. Mahon

I have to use Office 2010 and 2013 for work. My goodness, they are vile. Office 2013 makes the desktop look like a web app. Not having used any of them since Office 2000, my experiences were similar to yours. LibreOffice works well enough for me.

Reply to
Hils

Dana Mon, 29 Feb 2016 00:08:52 +0000, Hils napis'o:

For most things I need LibreOffice works better.

Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic

Called it. The Pi3 has gone on sale in Australia (because they're half a day ahead of us) and it has a quad-core Cortex-A53, i.e. an ARMv8.

The updated RS FAQ with a table comparing the features of the Pi models:

Dave Farrance