Raspberry pi 3 powers off after a few minutes

As the subject header says, my pi3 is now powering itself off after around 5 minutes, and is then unuseable.

I thought there was something amiss with it a couple of weeks ago, as I posted on here that it was dead or dying.

It has now gone off after 2 minutes!

Is there anything I can do or check to find what is wrong with it.

Reply to
RobH

Last time iirc it was a software problem. Make a new vanilla SD card and use that without trying anything fancy. If it works, start anew with your custom software, if not. it's broken.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

I burnt a new image on the sd card, then booted the pi3 up. It stuck on the 4 raspberries then shut down within 2 minutes.

I guess its a gonna now then, but thanks anyway

Reply to
RobH

Check the power supply. I found one was giving out over 5.5V which could cause overheating in some climates. A low voltage wouldn't help, either!

--
Cheers,
David

This time, after first trying a osmc image which wouldn't boot up, and then retrying a raspbian strech image it boots to the desktop, and I can now ssh into it.

Puzzling or what?

Reply to
RobH

Wonky power adapter.

Reply to
A. Dumas

One possibility is that the self-resetting fuse on the power line is tripping at too low a current.

This is a very inexpensive part.

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to

is the pi overheating?

Reply to
4ctestsystems

Not if you know hardware...

how many times in the early days of PC linux would we have a machine that 'ran windows' but barfed on Linux...

Bus timings and different drivers make a huge difference

I even had one machine that - after a couple of days of investigation - was shown to turn two bytes in a file, to FFH when the file was read from a floppy...

...removing the third party video capture card fixed it.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

look at /var/log/messages (might be at another location, I don't remember for raspian!!) It may contains infromation why it shutdown!!

Reply to
andre

It's not possible for a Pi to power off. It simply doesn't have the hardware support for it.

However it can crash and become unresponsive. So next time it happens check the power (red) LED. However this LED is under software control and will go off if the voltage is too low.

If you have a screen connected then you'll see a yellow "lightning bolt" icon appear if the power is too low (and a red thermometer icon if it's too hot)

99% of issues like this is the power supply. Change it. Try another, and if you have one, get your multimeter out and measure it when it's powering a Pi.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Ok , it's made a liar out of me now.

Last night I burnt a OSMC image onto the sd card. and after powering up the pi3 , OSMC wouldn't even boot up. I then tried for a 3rd time lucky, with a 2nd burnt image of raspbian stretch, and this time it booted up to the desktop, where I left it like that overnight.

This morning, it was still at the desktop, and I enabled ssh to get into it from my desktop. It is also running 1 python program, and looks like it was just a dicky image I had on originally, or something screwed it up.

Reply to
RobH

I did think that a few days ago, but it is now running fine for the time being anyway. I had to try 3 times with 2 different image files before it booted to the desktop.

Reply to
RobH

It was getting a little bit warm I thought at times, but I'm not sure if it was enough to shut down the pi3.

It is running just fine at the moment with just 1 python program running. I'll keep an eye on it for the next day or so.

Reply to
RobH

Have you tried it with a different SD card yet?

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

Yes, I concur with you about power supplies. When it did go off the red led still stayed on, which kind of puzzled me. Anyway after 3rd time lucky with 2 different images, OSMC and Raspbian stretch, it seems to be running fine now.

Reply to
RobH

No not yet I haven't, but I'll give it a go

Reply to
RobH

I agree, and I'd like to add that many USB cables have very thin wires and are too long, so they have too much resistence and cause unacceptable voltage loss. The buffer capacitors in the Raspberry Pi are too small to even supply short peaks current demands, so every peak has to be supplied by the power adaptor.

I replaced those cables with a "charging cable", they just have thick power wires, no data lines, and haven't had any problems ever since (RPi 3, with an USB harddisk that draws 500 mA).

Search on eBay for "Micro B USB Fast Quick Charge Cable 2.1A Android SmartPhone 18AWG" from Korea (or equivalent).

Although the offer states 2.1A, they will carry 2.5A with ease. I prefer a length of 15 cm or 30cm.

Not cheap, but really good.

--
Regards,
Kees Nuyt

I never thought that a USB charging cable would or could power up a pi3. That is really helpful, thank you.

I have now attached a charging cable which I already have, and the pi 3 is up and running. At the moment it is drawing 4.84 volts and 1.58 amps, but the red or green leds are not lit up.

Reply to
RobH

I realise that 1.58 amps is not enough power to do what I want it to, so I'll get one of those fast charging cables.

Reply to
RobH