Raspberry Pi.

My UniCornBBS in Arnhem.NL in Europe still uses POTS, and mostly once a day.

> For your information: in the near future before september 2019 I have to > move to TCP/IP wich UniCornBBS, > probably on a (reserve old) Raspberry Pi 1B and/or BeagleBoard. > My most luxury Pi 3B+ is used for my own pleasure ;-). > I am now seeking for the right RISC OS and/or Raspbian Linux FTN software > packages, which help from a colleage Dutch sysop. > Advise about this FTN solution is very welcome.

Henri, As this involves Raspberry Pis, I suppose it is on topic.

Here, I have a Pi 2B+. I am running MagickaBBS software, which has its own version of Crashmail II as the tosser (Magimail), and am using the stock raspbian binkd package as the mailer. Works great!

I am not sure what BBS software you are using now. Magicka is technically alpha but is pretty solid. It has telnet, SSH, and web capabilities. If you would like to try something more stable, Synchronet will also compile on a Pi (I have not done it myself), and it comes with its own tosser. It has many additional internet capabilities.

Both are under current development, both are OSS, and the programmers of both are good to work with.

I have never tried BBSing (or anything) on a Beagle. Is it an intel board, or ARM? If it is intel, I have some experience with the UP Board. I run a Synchronet board, as well as a 30+ year-old GT Power board (under dosemu!), on it. The GT board even has POTS! :)

Mike

--
 * SLMR 2.1a * This message protected by DALETECH!!
Reply to

On 09/24/18, Mike Powell said the following... MP> Here, I have a Pi 2B+. I am running MagickaBBS software, which has its MP> own version of Crashmail II as the tosser (Magimail), and am using the MP> stock raspbian binkd package as the mailer. Works great!

I thought I'd share that I am running Mystic and MBSE both as a Docker container on a Raspberry Pi 3+.

Why Docker? Mainly because I think Docker is awesome, but it also lets the app "think" it has a full system, but you can cage it off. It also means if any hacker breaks the app and gets into the container, they are caged as well.

By making the BBS's as Docker containers, its easy to setup a new one (to play or whatever), with "docker run ..." and its a new BBS instance ready to configure and run within a few seconds.

As a result of making the docker images, I packaged up BBS tools into Debian packages. (MBSE BBS, GoldED, MakeNL) - so if you want to spin up a BBS to play, you can grab my DEBs or my Docker Containers.

Info is on my BBS website:

- or drop me a netmail :)

...deon

Reply to
Deon George

Hello Mike,

Yes it sure is.

Are you sure? Have you seen it at the print? I donot think that number really exists. As I have almost all Pi models there are (except the A-models, Zero(W), and the Compute models) there are only the original: 1B (2012), 1B+ (2013), 2B (2014), 3B (2015) and

3B+ (2018) which I have all. The old 1B (2012 512 MB 2xUSB) even twice. The first Pi (2011) is very rare nowadays.

Thank you for mentioning, I have never heard of it, and I am FidoNet user since december 1985 and FidoNet SysOp since 1991.

I am running FrontDoor 2.02 NC and Remote Access at an old DOS 5 system and an analogue ZyXEL Elite 2864L modem

Ok, I'll take that in consideration. Do you know other sysops using that kind of software?

.

I have heard about some trouble in FidoNet, I think it was about dupes because some kludges and msgid's (SEENBYE's) were filtered away that hinders dupecheching in the FidoWeb. You know it is very irritating to receive the same messages more than once.

It is an ARM board too from 2009 and 2010, and I only have the BeagleBoard xM version from 2010. Besides 4 x USB2A it has also an RS232c port and a OTG and JTAG port on it. I used the OTG port as a fifth USB2A port. When running a BBS on the Beagle, I could use that RS232c port for the analogue POTS modem. And when running at a Pi I could use my USB2A to RS232c converter cable in the same way. I'll think about it, but the first priority is to build a reliable FidoNet station running Binkd protoco inclusive tosser, scanner, msgeditor and also a file-echomanager.

If you realy had the BeagleBoard (xM), you could/should know it has an ARM processor as Intel software won't run on it. It has a microSDcard too. I only run RISC OS and Linux on it, when powered on ;-) That was some years ago, as I dropped my not running 2.5" HDD on the ground. It did not survive that fall about 0.90 meter. I have to update my RISC OS SDcard to the latest version and build a new HDD again some time. You know it is possible to build a microSDcard that both runs both RISC OS on a BeagleBoard xM AND on a Pi 3B+? The clue is the contents of the first FAT partion. We made that happen at our BigBenComputer club in the Netherlands. I am not sure if that is also possible with Linux at both machines?

I could use that HDD too at my Pi's when running RISC OS. I filled it at an Acorn RISC PC with a Baildon EIDE PATA podule card, as EIDE is much faster than USB. So that 160 GB HDD was filled with a 128 GB RISC OS partition. I still have 2 other versions of that same 2.5" 160 GB HDD I once used in my Asus L5800c laptop with now has a broken Windows directory stucture. I placed the original 2.5" 55 GB HDD back in the laptop. So that I can use that 2.5 160 GB HDD again for Linux at a Pi or for RISC OS. A new SSD could be a better solution nowadays. I am not sure which option I am going to use.

As nobody calls here besides my UpLink, I think POTS is over.

When I am ready I will run the old and new systems simultaneously for a while. Thank you for your information.

Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

That sounds pretty neat!

Mike

--
 * SLMR 2.1a * Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily...Emily...
Reply to

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 19:20:00 +1200, snipped-for-privacy@f1.n70.z5355.fidonet.org (Mike Powell) declaimed the following:

Arm based -- but product line runs a wide gamut. The BeagleBone Black (rev C) is a 1GHz 32-bit ARM, 512kB RAM, 4GB eMMC on-board (and also has uSDHC slot), Ethernet (not via USB translation). A lot of GPIOs, and includes ADC and PWM capability (also has two "Programmable Realtime Units" which can be used when a protocol needs deterministic timings as they do not run an OS). Main OS is Debian.

Variations exist for WiFi, Robotics...

The big BeagleBoard X15 costs as much as a bottom end desktop computer. Dual Cortex-A15 @ 1.5GHz, dual 700MHz DSP, 4 PRUs, 2GB RAM, dual Gigabit Ethernet, 3x USB 3, eSATA

Dennis Lee Bieber

It is fairly new. It has only been around for a couple of years maybe? magickabbs.com

There are at least two other systems, including the author's, that are running it that I know of.

Synchronet did not cause that, if I remember correctly. I believe it was another software. At any rate, if it was Synchronet it has been fixed. Mark Lewis and I did some testing with my two systems, one Synchronet one not, and it appeared that it was happing somewhere downstream from me on a non-Synchronet board. I did not hear which software it was running, though.

That is a good priority.

That is very interesting. I am not sure if it is possible with linux or not. You would think it could be, since raspbian is meant to run on an arm machine.

You're welcome! Mike

--
 * SLMR 2.1a * A restless eye across a weary room...
Reply to

Den 2018-09-25 kl. 05:54, skrev Henri Derksen:

There are two versions, the early ones with 256 mb RAM I got one of those still running.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep evision CPU revision : 7 Revision : 0002

its slightly newer friend has 512 mb RAM

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep evision CPU revision : 7 Revision : 000e

Reply to
Björn Lundin

I've got a 256MB and 512MB original model B's too, they've been overclocked, so are showing the abuse bit (warranty void).

Revision : 1000002 Revision : 100000e

---druck

Reply to
druck