r-pi2 server?

The main problem is that the built in 100BaseT Ethernet port is attached to the single on-chip USB2 bus. So while you could add further USB Ethernet adaptors, you aren't going to get very good performance from a single interface, and especially not both at the same time when acting as a firewall/router.

It would be OK for a handful of Mbit/s from a cranky old ADSL connection, but wont be enough to keep up with the fastest fibre or cable broadband. I hate to say it, but a cheap x86 board with built in gigabit Ethernet would make far more sense for this application.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Yes, it is plugged in directly to the Fritzbox. But the built-in router/switch for talking on the LAN is no good when the network interface on the RPi doesn't come up.

It's a 100 Mbit port.. The 7360 has two gigabit ports (1 & 2) and two

100-Mbit ones (3 & 4). But yeah, that's why I mentioned "port 3" because it has been suggested that the Fritzbox implementation (in either hardware or software) might not be great. Then again, port 4 (which is now on a different VLAN for internet-TV) never causes trouble for the TV decoder.

Indeed, that's what I have been contemplating. Would almost certainly work well, but requires yet another 5V plug. Also, I'm waiting for official modem firmware support for my internet-TV to be plugged into any port (has to do with VLAN tagging) instead of only port 4, which would mean I could plug the TV into the switch as well and free up a port on the modem.

Reply to
A. Dumas

If you can set up a VLAN on the Fritz, it suggests it is a managed switch, which is good. You may be able to turn off auto-negotiation on one of the ports, and choose a speed/duplex setting that the rpi can handle. It wouldn't be the first time I've come across autonegotiation setting the switch to 10M/half when the PC wanted 100M/full duplex.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk

Ah yes. Well, not quite, I'm afraid, at least not on the consumer interface side. Pretty sure it's a just a provider-customised (but factory-supported) firmware for this use case, internet-TV on a separate VLAN.

Thanks.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Does it HAVE to be one box? How about three components;

  • RPi server powered by a powered hub also powering a
  • USB Pocket Hard Drive and, separately a
  • WiFi/Ethernet Router/Switch which subsumes the Firewall and other protections at the head end.

This updated configuration is more robust as independent components, draws less power, and isolates any self-serving de-militarized zone should you want to publish a site from home without fear of hacking your home net. Upgrade to two RPis later, one to serve DMZ internet and one dedicated to movie/music/media/files on your isolated intrAnet private home network with the powered hub and USB hard drive. Mine is a similar setup with 128GB TF on the RPi serving a Wiki via Ethernet cable and DMZ IP while a USB WiFi adds a separate Root Channel IP address for Admin/Software Development/Goofing About with the headless RPi via Xming with PuTTY. But having only one RPi B, the server is an old laptop (which has reported "Press F1, your hard drive is failing." for two years now on each restart. The always on laptop serves the files stored on a USB 500GB desktop drive, primarily because the MagicJack (original) doesn't work on the RPi - so if I'm going to run a low power laptop 24/7 for a phone, I might as well run all communication through it, USB Printer/Scanner/Fax+ all-in-one shared intranet with Apache in home web pages such as the "we need milk" shopping list forum, the aforementioned USB Hard Drive. It's the primary Email popup and newsgroup display (I'm using it for that as we speak,) and is loaded with a plethora of legacy software that's used rarely but when required, it's required NOW! and a Belkin stereo wireless FM travel transmitter plugged into the headphone jack for the Winamp powered home audio "Radio Station" which allows it to plug into whatever TV/DVD/Projector at whim allowing us to crank up the volume on our DollarStore personal FM radios and walk about as the neighbors hear none of our shared experience. (although we did get some funny looks while dancing in the yard silently.) And of course the laptop also serves as the terminal for the headless RPi using Xming over the WiFi IP dongle with PuTTY. I keep Windows Task Manager open on the right at all times as well and CPU usage ranges from 25 to 50 percent with 0.99GB out of 2GB memory usage running all that. Loading up a bunch of tabs on firefox will kill it though and cause it to thrash the nearly full 200 GB hard drive with swaps and suck up all my clock cycles. But it has no problem serving music and two movies at once from the USB drive. The added benefit is the powered hub can handle additional USB drives when friends visit and share. It's fine as long as I limit surfing facebook/flickr and other 'endless bottom' sites while limiting to just a few open tabs.

If I added another RPi, (with a five Amp powered hub) it would take over the media server function and strap it with Velcro onto the back of the LCD DVD/TV combo, event though there is room inside, just for ease of maintenance, to take over as Media Server.

Should I add a third RPi it would be to solo as the original intent of the first one - Learning new languages, and just dedicate to Perl with Padre and Python with IDLE, but not the Scratch puppet show.

But before I add my own RPi to the network, I'd like to hack my mom's huge, solid oak cabinet phonograph-changer/AM/FM/TV/8track, which the picture tube sucks image, replacing the picture tube to an LED lit LCD HDMI panel hinged on the left to access game consoles behind it on a shelf next to a DVD/BluRay above the preserved tube transformers - the existing amplifier and speakers are great! She loves that 1/8 tonne piece of furniture and complains "they don't make them like THAT anymore!" (while under my breath I mumble 'you can't hang THAT on a wall.') But I don't think she would react well when I hand her the Bluetooth combo rollerball/keyboard and try to explain "Here is how to watch Hulu, and do this for Netflix, and YouTube is like this...This other remote is for cable but you've gotta switch..." She hated the complexity of WebTV.

But I need more info to answer your question, besides being clueless about HDMI problems in an RPi FreeBSD port. Are you locked in intellectually, like my mom, to resist change and unable to grasp the Debian/Wheezy differences? Are there applications which must be run which cannot recompile to Debian/Wheezy? It seems to me Debian/Wheezy is a whole lot closer to freeBSD than freeBSD is to OSX or msWinslows. Also, availing oneself of Debian/Wheezy concurrent contemporary support (such as news:comp.sys.raspberry-pi) is much more readily at hand than if you fork to esoteric RPi OSs. (that doesn't mean that if you make the port we wouldn't be interested in a progress report or two.) It comes down to this, weigh the pros and cons of the cost of porting over essential software versus the ability to change your OS mindset on the gentle slope of the learning curve. I'm just sayin there may be an easier path than sticking with freeBSD, but if you're just in a hurry to get the old girl back online I recommend visiting thrift shops for a similar CPU box to kitbash the working parts and restoring from backups. The cost of ownership will be higher running 300+ Watt power supply plus a console display over the RPi power trickle. Is the display method really that critical? Could you set up with Line Video Out then run headless and PuTTY in from a laptop on your home net?

"Mike Scott" wrote in message news:mhndrv$scn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

that's

and

-
--
  All ladders in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye have thirteen steps.
There are thirteen steps to the gallows, firing squad or any execution.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DisneyWizard the Fantasmic!

On 26/06/2015 21:34, DisneyWizard the Fantasmic! wrote: [snip your post] [snip entire previous posts]

Hi,

in case you are new to the comp.sys.raspberry-pi news group, there are three conventions that we follow to make it easier for everyone to read.

1) The reply you type should be after the previous message(s) text, or interleaved with it. Not at the top, which is the default for some badly designed online services such as google groups/mail, and poor quality PC software such as Outlook and Outlook Express - these particular programs can be fixed with a patches from:-

2) You should edit the previous message(s) to just the points directly relevant to your reply, and not just include the entire thing.

3) Make sure all your lines are less than 76 characters wide, to prevent unsightly spillage of odd words on to the next line, and to make it easier for people replying.

For further information please refer to the following:-

news.newusers.questions FAQ

How to post to uk news groups
Proper quoting style explained

Thank you for your cooperation.

Reply to
druck

Wise words. May I also suggest checking the date of the post being replied to? For a topic such as this, a 2 month time-lag from the most recent thread posting might suggest the topic is somewhat past its best-before date.... although I must apologise for not following up and giving my decision.

In this case I took note of the comments about the rpi's usb speeds, and went with a jetway atom-based box (4 onboard NICs) - supposedly 15W idle power, although I'm not entirely convinced about this.

My thanks for all comments (they were helpful in deciding) , but the decision is long-since-made and the thread is really dead now.

--
Mike Scott (unet2  [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

In comp.sys.raspberry-pi message , Fri, 26 Jun 2015 23:45:38, druck posted:

The link quoted above recommends 72 characters maximum.

--

   Web   - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Reply to

That's for people who don't snip their quoting. And 72 is less than 76!

Also, your site URL doesn't seem to be very helpful.

John

--
John Williams, now back in the UK - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Williams (News)

Eh? There's loads of stuff on his website.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In comp.sys.raspberry-pi message , Sun, 28 Jun 2015 14:33:16, Rob Morley posted:

The legitimate heirs of Demon have transferred the site to Namesco, and between them they have not provided me with the information now needed to access it as maintainer.

The site is thus fossilised at its mid-April state, and will presumably vanish when Namesco have found out how to resent not being paid. The Wayback Machine should still have it.

The master copy is safe, being updated, and may eventually be copied to another server.