Qt on the Pi?

If it means updating Raspbian itself, I'm not particularly interested. My Pi runs 24/7 without hiccups doing a few useful things for me (like feeding Radio Caroline to my audio system, and providing a 'reminder' app that's accessible from any of my machines and OSs), so I don't want to 'fix' anything. [htop tells me it's been up 112 days! The exclamation is the program's...]

I've instead just installed qtcreator on my Mint laptop. Not getting all that much further yet -- tells me I don't have a valid 'kit'. with no idea where to find such -- but I suppose I'll get there.

Yeah -- I absolutely refuse auto-updates. (Don't have Windows anywhere around, but I'll have to get used to Android when my Gemini PDA arrives!)

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

Beauty is you can buy a new SD card (min. 8 GB) for peanuts and swap them to try out the newest Raspbian distribution. Or even buy a new Pi, perhaps a cheap Pi Zero to use as the radio and the one you have (Pi3?) as your dev test bed. If you don't already have a Pi3, then definitely worth it to buy one and use that for development. Massive speed difference. Just wait a week or so until the RPi foundation has celebrated their birthday, on the off-chance they will introduce new hardware which they tend to do around this time. I think a Pi4 is another year away, though.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Install the build-essential package, go to QtCreator's Tools->Options, make sure gcc is recognised in the compilers tabs, and in the kits tab create default base on gcc.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Thanks, but I'm not sure where I'd find that. Anyway, I did a web search and found a post that said to install qt5-default. That worked, but qmake then failed, so I had to also grab qtdeclarative5-dev to fix that. I think it's working now... I do get pretty fed up with the lack of guidance from the source though. (Or maybe I don't know where to look.)

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

Swapping the SD removes the Pi's current uses, so that's what I don't want to do!

However a Pi 3 is definitely in my plans. That I haven't bought one yet is just inertia I'm afraid. (:-/)

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

Only while testing the other setup. What, a couple of hours, a day? Swap it back in and you're right back where you left off.

Reply to
A. Dumas