python install problem

Hi, I'm using an rpi model B with xbian installation. After doing "apt-get update" and apt-get upgrade (login as root) I got this error Message:

>> Vorbereitung zum Ersetzen von python2.7-minimal 2.7.3-6 (durch .../python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6+deb7u2_armhf.deb) ...

dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von /var/cache/apt/archives/python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6+deb7u2_armhf.deb (--unpack):

Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von: /var/cache/apt/archives/python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6+deb7u2_armhf.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Reply to
Hans-Werner Kneitinger

Dunno. I will say that back when Xbian, Raspbmc, and Openelec were relatively new distros, I did a comparison and found that Xbian had the edge in ease of use and responsiveness... but I compared them recently, and now Raspbmc blows the others away. Maybe you'll find that to be a better distro too.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

I'll add that it occurs to me that doing an update and upgrade via apt-get is probably not a good idea for an XBMC variant of a standard distro as (I think) is the case for Xbian and Raspbmc because the media sources will point at Raspian. You need to use the updating method for the variant that's configurable via the menus on the XBMC desktop. Fetching specific packages from Raspian shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Having english error messages might help people here or when searching the web:

sudo -s LC_ALL=C apt-get-upgrade

Reply to
Stefan Enzinger

Am 22.03.14 11:28, schrieb Stefan Enzinger: lish error messages might help people here or when searching

ok, here it is >>> apt-get -f install Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Correcting dependencies... Done The following extra packages will be installed: python2.7 python2.7-minimal Suggested packages: python2.7-doc binfmt-support The following packages will be upgraded: python2.7 python2.7-minimal

2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded. 3 not fully installed or removed. Need to get 0 B/4,369 kB of archives. After this operation, 1,024 B of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y (Reading database ... 55688 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to replace python2.7-minimal 2.7.3-6 (using .../python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6+deb7u2_armhf.deb) ... Unpacking replacement python2.7-minimal ... dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6+deb7u2_armhf.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_hashlib.so', which is also in package python2.7 2.7.3-6 dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe) Processing triggers for man-db ... Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6+deb7u2_armhf.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Reply to
Hans-Werner Kneitinger

I tried apt-get update/upgrade with my RaspBMC installation on Pi. It broke it. Now I just let it upgrade itself as it wants.

--

Chris Elvidge
England

Note the version numbers: 2.7.3-6 and 2.7.3-6+deb7u2. These two versions are, apparently, mutually incompatible (presumably _hashlib.so was moved from one to the other).

Try: apt-get update && apt-get upgrade before proceeding.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

Am 22.03.14 17:47, schrieb Richard Kettlewell:

I know, but I never want to install 2.7.3-6. I did "apt-get update" and then "apt-get upgrade"

I /var/cache/apt/archives are only the python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6+deb7u2_armhf.deb and python2.7_2.7.3-6+deb7u2_armhf.deb files (and other non python deb files)

This ist my sources.list

deb

wheezy main contrib non-free rpi deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt wheezy main deb
sarge contrib deb
sarge contrib

Hit

wheezy Release.gpg Hit
sarge Release.gpg Hit
wheezy Release.gpg Hit
wheezy Release Hit
sarge Release Hit
wheezy Release Hit
sarge Release.gpg Hit
wheezy Release.gpg Hit
wheezy/main armhf Packages Hit
wheezy Release Hit
wheezy/contrib armhf Packages Hit
sarge/contrib armhf Packages Hit
wheezy/non-free armhf Packages Hit
sarge Release Hit
wheezy/rpi armhf Packages Hit
wheezy/main armhf Packages Hit
wheezy/main armhf Packages Ign
sarge/contrib Translation-en_GB Ign
wheezy/main Translation-en_GB Ign
sarge/contrib Translation-en Ign
wheezy/main Translation-en Hit
sarge/contrib armhf Packages Ign
wheezy/main Translation-en_GB Ign
wheezy/main Translation-en Ign
wheezy/contrib Translation-en_GB Ign
wheezy/contrib Translation-en Ign
wheezy/main Translation-en_GB Ign
wheezy/main Translation-en Ign
wheezy/non-free Translation-en_GB Ign
wheezy/non-free Translation-en Ign
wheezy/rpi Translation-en_GB Ign
wheezy/rpi Translation-en Ign
sarge/contrib Translation-en_GB Ign
sarge/contrib Translation-en Reading package lists... Done Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these. The following packages have unmet dependencies: libpython2.7 : Depends: python2.7 (= 2.7.3-6+deb7u2) but 2.7.3-6 is installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Reply to
Hans-Werner Kneitinger

Well, as I (and Chris Elvidge) said: don't do that because it's Xbian.

If you've borked it, your best bet is to re-install the latest RaspBMC (or Xbian if you must) and only use its own upgrade method.

apt-get update is OK but apt-get upgrade is unsafe.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

That's because the first one only fetches update info and second one actually does the updating.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Yes. I assume that Xbian's own update method ignores the APT database and only updates with certain packages listed by the maintainer (apparently from xbian.dehakkelaar.nl according to Hans-Werner's logs here). So it would be safe to refresh the APT database before getting _specific_ packages from Raspbian.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Understood.

Reply to
A. Dumas

What do you think the problem with it is? As far as I can see, xbian has a perfectly ordinary apt repo.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

Try installing them manually, in a single operation, e.g.: dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/*python2.7*.deb

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

Google "xbian apt-get upgrade" and I find that the first hit is Xbian's author saying DON'T:

Dave Farrance

Err, that says ?this command should work fine?. It?s dist-upgrade he esems to have a problem with. From the timing I wonder if it?s related to the squeeze/wheezy transition (which is now long in the past).

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

Ah, I see it's the second paragraph: "This command should work fine, however in some rare cases it breaks the system." Breaking the system appears to be what Hans-Werner here found.

That's not surprising, really, since Hans-Werner's log here shows that the vanilla Raspbian sources are used, and those will be updated by Raspbian's maintainers without consideration for what that does to other distros based on Raspbian. And having the entire desktop replaced with something else is quite a significant difference from the original, so incompatibilities could easily occur.

I wouldn't have done it because I thought that running the apt-get upgrade might try to turn it into Raspbian and break it big time.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Am 22.03.14 21:17, schrieb Richard Kettlewell:

Thanks, that did the job.

--
cu
hawe

Debian should make efforts to stamp out this stupid British-Mary-Poppins-talk: "YOU MIGHT WANT TO..", which has no place in a scientific subject, especially where unambigious syntax is essential.

"Would you like to pass the sugar?".

Reply to
Unknown