Problems at t'Raspbian Mill?

This is the second time that I've wanted to run an upgrade on my RPi at about this time, around 18:00-19:00 on Friday: the previous failure was a week ago.

Have any of you seen this previously?

Attempts to retrieve .deb files only result in multiple failures (14) of in 'apt-get upgrade' this time as it tried to fetch nine .deb files.

Each of these gets an HTTP 302 response (this is a redirect) and all are associated with IP 93.93.128.193 port 80 which curl can't access and 'host' can't resolve, returning error 3(NXDOMAIN). According to 'whois' this IP is part of the Mythic Beasts Primary Address block.

It seems that Mythic Beasts are hosting the Raspbian package collection - just not very well seeing that their servers are falling over.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

How are you testing this and what is the error output?

host yielding NXDOMAIN for 93.93.128.193 just means there is no reverse lookup for that address in the DNS. That has nothing to do with reachability.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

If you're running a bash script that starts with

apt-get update apt-get upgrade ...

from the console, as I am, its in your face - a whole list of 'E:' prefixed lines reporting problems and, because my script checks exit codes after each apt-xxx command, I know its "apt-get upgrade" that's failing.

... and I find that 93.93.128.193 belongs to mythic-beasts.com, not to raspberrypi.org - and they tell me that 93.93.128.193 is an old reference that should not be used.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

I haven't done any updates/upgrades on this Pi for months as it has been in a box doing nothing. apt-get upgrade is working away as I type and an "ss" shows it has accessed 93.93.128.193:80

apt sources.list on this PiZero W here contains

deb

jessie main contrib non-free rpi

resolves to 93.93.128.193

I guess something called mirrordirector should return 302's. No?

Reply to
mm0fmf

Martin Gregorie wrote, on 08-02-2019 20:59:

Mirrors fall over sometimes. The mirror list admin's (i.e. the Foundation's) monitoring might not very robust. My trouble in November:

No answer to my last question, why one faulty mirror seemed to be able to block every update attempt.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Yes, thats what it does. I just tried a couple more times. Both tries failed exactly the same way. Again.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Working for me.. hit mirrordirector.... and was redirected to where the packages are. Downloaded them and the little Pi chugs away.

"Preparing to unpack .../lua5.1_5.1.5-8.1_armhf.deb ... Unpacking lua5.1 (5.1.5-8.1) over (5.1.5-7.1) ... Preparing to unpack .../lxde-icon-theme_0.5.1-2_all.deb ..."

Reply to
mm0fmf

If you won?t quote the error output then understanding the problem is not going to be practical.

MB are RPi?s web hosts.

Who told you this and how?

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to
Richard Kettlewell

As I understand it, the official raspberry pi repos are not the same as the raspbian repos.

I use: deb

stretch main contrib non-free rpi

Reply to
ray carter

A bloke at mystic. By email.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Failed again this morning, but after that I reran:

apt-get update --fix-missing apt-get upgrade --fix-missing

and this time to upgrade worked OK. BTW, nmap showed that 93.93.128.193 has port 80 open, so the problem would seem to be in the raspbian mirror redirector.

I'll leave it in peace until next week when, if it screws up again, I'll raise a bug with raspbian.org

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Been working fine with me. When I replied to you I realised that the Pi in question was on jessie still. I did a lather-rinse-repeat loop of apt-get update / upgrade / dist-upgrades, sed of jessie to stretch in apt/sources and apt-get update / upgrade / dist-upgrades. Now I have a working and up to date stretch install.

"Linux rpiw 4.14.79+ #1159 Sun Nov 4 17:28:08 GMT 2018 armv6l GNU/Linux"

What I noticed was during the upgrade was an update that changed the line from

deb

stretch main contrib non-free rpi

deb

stretch main contrib non-free rpi

Both still resolve to 93.93.128.193 and, for me, works such that I've performed a complete dist-upgrade pointing me to 350+ packages to download and install.

I'd add this in the fault log as "works for me, closed".

YMMV

Reply to
mm0fmf

Thanks for that: when I switched from jessie to stretch (same method as you used), my setup retained the old

mirror director. So I edited sources.list to use

and reran my upgrade script. This caused a bit of housekeeping to be done by 'apt-get update'. Everything is now is now running as expected, so it looks as though all should be good for my next upgrade.

I'm primarily a Redhat Fedora user. I have been running Red Hat Linux since RH 6.1 (in about 1998) and dumped Windows in favour of Fedora in around 2005, but I'd never had anything to do with Debian until I got an RPi in 2012 and never had much need to look into how apt-get works until now.

Thanks for the tip.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

On 09/02/2019 14:22, Martin Gregorie wrote: [Snip]

Fedora is available for the Raspberry Pi, if you don't get on with Debian.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Yes, I know, thanks. I've thought about trying it, but am generally happy with Raspbian and its less bleeding edge than Fedora anyhow.

My only real niggle is that apt-get feels quite old fashioned compared with its Fedora equivalents. Initially that was yum, but since that got replaced with dnf this impression has only got stronger, particularly since Fedora has at long last got the ability to upgrade to the next version in situ, i.e. the equivalent of "apt-get dist-upgrade".

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

this is probably due to some last-minute security patches to prevent a re-direct from allowing an MItM attack.

(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
"Straighten up and fly right"
Reply to
Big Bad Bob

Could also be due to a changed in mirror director that I somehow didn't get. Now applied: editing it in made last weekend's update work.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org