Problem with web video

HS> Since today I cannot play videos in chromium anymore. It worked two days HS> ago. In some cases (youtube, tagesschau.de) vidoes won't start playing. HS>

This might not be a fix for you, BUT have you done that big update that came out a couple weeks ago? It had a lot of Chromium fixes, for video specifically....

But if its an issue that arose, its probably not Chromium and a video issue/something got broke.

sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade first.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o |08.........

Reply to
paul lee

Since today I cannot play videos in chromium anymore. It worked two days ago. In some cases (youtube, tagesschau.de) vidoes won't start playing.

At sport1.de trying to start the live straem gives me error 232404.

To me it seems it is not a chromium issue but a problem with some kid of video plugin. It get the same resulzs with iceweasel/firefox.

Any hints?

Raspberry Pi Model 4, 8GB Current Raspberry OS

Thanks

hs

Reply to
H0Iger SchuIz

Did that, didn't help.

Thanks, anyway.

hs

Reply to
H0Iger SchuIz

Obvious questions:

- what was written to /var/log/messages when you attempted to view a video with Chromium?

- does Firefox write the same set of messages to /var/log/messages?

These are, or should be, obvious because when something like this happens, that's the first place to look when an application fails without showing the detail of what went wrong: IMHO displaying an unexplained error code doesn't count as 'showing what went wrong'.

As well looking in /var/log/messages you should also:

- look at any other logs in /var/log which carry the same 'last updated' timestamp as when the error occurred.

- take a look in the directory where Chromium and Firefox stash data in case they wrote anything useful there. In this case:

- Google Earth writes crashlogs to ~/.googleearth/crashlogs

- Firefox writes crashlogs to '~/.mozilla/firefox/Crash Reports'

so its very likely that Chromium does something similar.

You can see the exact time to loog for in logs by causing the crashes again, but this time after opening a console window and running the command:

sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

in it. This will show you the timestamped log messages as the error actually occurs. When you're finished with it, stop 'tail' by typing Ctrl/ C in the console window.

Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org
Reply to
Martin Gregorie