Previous kernel images

I have a problem with raspbian on a raspberry-pi version B and the gpio (from

and the last kernel. At the gpio pin 19 there is a push-button connect to common for halt system. I use a simple script bash in background to test the falling of gpio pin 19 (bcm 30) for halt system:

pin=19 /usr/local/bin/gpio mode $pin up # Enable internal pull-up /bin/sleep 180 # wait 3 minutes!!! /usr/local/bin/gpio mode $pin up # Enable internal pull-up /usr/local/bin/gpio wfi $pin falling # Wait for input level to drop echo "SHUTDOWN at: `date -R`" >> /var/log/on.log echo >> /var/log/on.log /sbin/iptables-save > $(echo "/root/iptables-save__$(date +%Y-%m-%d__%H:%M)") sleep 1 /usr/bin/sudo /sbin/halt

Last use of button was the 27 febrary and work ok. Today, with the last update of raspbian, not work and crash with this message:

Message from syslogd@localhost at Apr 7 21:59:19 ... kernel:[ 922.196295] Disabling IRQ #50

... and dmesg report many error linees.

Because I have not a recent backup (the last backup is from 4 months) I want to restore the previous kernel.

How I do ?

| Macchia:                                                                  |
| Se alla tavoletta del cesso ci attacchi una mela, mica diventa un MacBook!|
| Fuori-Come-Un-Balcone:                                                    |
| Però se al MacBook togli la mela, diventa una tavoletta del cesso P      |
+-----#53----------------------------------------------Veritá---------------+
Reply to
BIG (Umberto)

Set up a new, bootable SD card and boot from that. Connect a USB SD-card reader to the RPi, plug your old card into that and mount it. You should now be able to access the old card, so you can back up the contents of its /home/* directory tree to a PC and/or, copy all the stuff you need from /home on the old card to /home on the card you've just booted off and then back that up.

Then get in the habit of doing more frequent backups, preferably to a cycle of two or three SD cards or hard drives.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

comp.sys.raspberry-pi ha scritto:

Sorry for imprecision... The problem of "crash" is *only* when I push the button. Normally work ok. If you do not press the button raspberry working properly. In fact I did not notice the problem until I had to turn off the raspberry! When I push the button, not start the halt process but exit the error of disabling interrupt, into dmesg I see many error linees, and the script freeze. If I push a second time the button, rasperry ignore this, but work as normal. The line of script: /usr/local/bin/gpio wfi $pin falling is frozen and the script does not proceed. I have updated the program gpio from site, but the problem not change. I suppose that the problem is in the new kernel with features for the new version of raspberry (B+ and 2) incompatible for this application. This my "halt" button work correct from many years...

| Macchia:                                                                  |
| Se alla tavoletta del cesso ci attacchi una mela, mica diventa un MacBook!|
| Fuori-Come-Un-Balcone:                                                    |
| Però se al MacBook togli la mela, diventa una tavoletta del cesso P      |
+-----#53----------------------------------------------Veritá---------------+
Reply to
BIG (Umberto)

I would trys to understand what changed in the new kernel respect of the previous and fix the script accordingly. By the way have you updated the firmware?

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to

ha scritto:

Is a normal shell script! It use the famous gpio utility! As the fan control which use the gpio 17 (bcm 28) but work correct. And this fan control is another shell script but working in cron! The problem is the trigger of pin 19 (bcm 30). Because I use the extension P5, not present in raspberry 2, I suppose a possible bug/incompatibility in new kernel. Some day past using aptitude, into the updating programs as security, was the new kernel version, and I upgrade all... The last day I used the "halt button" (connect at the gpio 19 pin) was the 27 of Febrary. The probem is from this date and yesterday.

I use raspbian and update periodically with aptitude! Do you know a link with the history of upgrade of raspbian?

Now I am extracting the first partition of the last backup complete created with "dd" into a file, adding the MBR ad make a new SD with the complete backup of today and the first partition extracted from last backup!

I hope it works!

|  Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo, Aureli pathice et cinaede Furi,            |
|  qui me ex versiculis meis putastis, quod sunt molliculi, parum pudicum.  |
+-----#5--------------------------------------Diamanti di saggezza.---------+
Reply to
BIG (Umberto)

Good luck..

What appears to have happened, as far as I can tell (being the author of wiringPi and the gpio utility) is that the boffins at Pi HQ have done something to the kernel to stop/block the interrupts being avalable on the pins normally reserved for I2C or SPI.

It's something I have no control over unfortunately - I'm as much in the dark as the dozens of people who've been emailling me about it )-:

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

AFAIK aptitude doesn't update automatically the firmware. You have to use rpi-update for that.

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to
Jack

It is still completely unclear to me what "the firmware" is and that apt-get update/upgrade does not update and rpi-update does. When I run rpi-update it appears to install a new kernel, but apt-get does that as well. rpi-update appears to thread on the mechanisms used by apt-get (package management), I don't like that.

Reply to
Rob

rpi-update installs the latest "bleeding-edge" kernel and firmware (mostly the bootcode).

apt-get (via the raspberrypi-bootloader package) installs the latest stable kernel and firmware.

Unless you have good reason to, you should just use apt-get or aptitude.

In the early days there were a lot of important fixes going into the kernel and firmware, and people were advised to use rpi-update. That has now changed.

Reply to
Dom

Make sure that your kernel modules in /lib/modules on second the partition match with the the kernel image on the first partition.

Regards,

--
Kees Theunissen.
Reply to

Ok, thanks. I have seen a couple of kernel updates recently but probably most were actually for the 2B as there now are 2 kernels in /boot.

Reply to
Rob

Have a look at /var/log/apt.

Regards,

Kees.

--
Kees Theunissen.
Reply to

comp.sys.raspberry-pi ha scritto:

Yes, of course, otherwise it makes version conflict modules!

FINISH!

Wrong kernel version= /3.18.7-v7+ Restored kernel= /3.12.28+

Extract from backup (3.12.28+) (dd of 8G sd card) the first partition into a temp directory in /tmp Delete in wrong card the files in /boot except config.txt. Copy files from /tmp to /boot except config.txt.

Extract from secon partition of backup (3.12.28+) entire /lib/modules/3.12.28+ into a directory in /tmp Copy into /lib/modules of the wrong card the directory /3.12.28+ Reboot

Work! (I hope!)

N.B. Kernel 3.12.28+ is from September 2014....

|       Velocita' e alcool uccidono. Fatti una pera che e' meglio.          |
+-----#11--------------------Campagna contro le pubblicita` idiote.---------+
Reply to
BIG (Umberto)

comp.sys.raspberry-pi ha scritto:

Ok, not in my system, but from the site of raspbian. If is possible discharge single paket, but previous versions.

|       Velocita' e alcool uccidono. Fatti una pera che e' meglio.          |
+-----#11--------------------Campagna contro le pubblicita` idiote.---------+
Reply to
BIG (Umberto)

ok, sorry. I had outdated infos.

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to
Jack

comp.sys.raspberry-pi ha scritto:

NOPE. Not work complete! tin must be reinstalled. aptitude work, but with errors.

Kernel is too old! If I had a kernel less old... probably...

Confirm the change pin to a normal gpio, interrupt work correct.

--

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Sappi che la mia spocchiosita' depressiva con pulsione | | all'autodemolizione e' allo studio di menti brillanti del mondo della | | psichiatria. Hanno promesso di spiegarmi che cosa ho detto. | +-----#17--------------------Campagna contro le pubblicita` idiote.---------+
Reply to