PostScript printer setup on Buster

Trying to set up Buster to print over a LAN to a Brother MFC8480dn B&W laster printer. Cups installed without obvious issues, runs as expected and finds the printer by IP address. I fed it a .ppd file and all seems good. Cups 2.2.10 can see the printer, read the defaults and make changes.

When I print a test page cups reports "filter failed", a little later it reports "unable to locate...."

AIUI, there shouldn't be any filters because the printer supports PostScript.

Anybody got a clue? First time I set up Jessie for the same printer it seemed a lot easier.....

Thanks for reading, and any ideas.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

What was it unable to locate? in my experience, those tend to be a perl script that isn't installed or isn't invoked correctly.

These maybe of use

isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie

"Unable to locate printer "BRN001BA9A3D6ED"." The printer was found and configured using the "find new printers" options, which seems to be what generated that name.

The printer answers ping, so I know it's up, on this latest test CUPS didn't report "filter failed" for some reason.

Hold the presses! I ran "find printers" for the tenth time and it worked. The trick seems to be visiting the Home page of the server, then immediately selecting "find new printers", at which point the protocol turns out to be "socket". Apparently my random wanderings through the CUPS server links caused the trouble.

Thanks for replying, and apologies for the noise!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska