Possible Raspberry Pi UPS

"Dennis Lee Bieber" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I knew it would be Google Groups. Gee-Zus!

Thank you Dennis.

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

As a long-time user of Google Groups I had stuck with them despite certain issues because they offered something I could not get elsewhere but the new interface was the final nail in the coffin. It is dreadful, and they seem unwilling to respond to suggestions about it even though they ask for them.

Anyway, I finally gave up with GG. The above formatting issues are just part of it. How can a company think it's a good idea to make such changes and that customers will be please? I am totally mystified.

I still have the GG account. I use it to search for old posts and would use it to reply to old ones that are not available on my usenet server. That said, Eternal September, does have a very good archive for text newsgroups.

James

Reply to
James Harris

You know, if you can come up with a sequence of keystrokes that delete an offending line or piece of text it is possible to program a key as a "hotkey" to carry out that sequence of keys repetitively just by holding the key down. I use something like that occasionally.

James

Reply to
James Harris

In the newsreader I use it is quite easy to insert a script automatically called when the editor is opened for a followup. In the past I had such a script to merge multiple blank lines into one, to remove dangling ">" signs at the end of a quoted block, etc. Sometime when upgrading I lost it, it seems.

However, now I have a Score line that mods down any postings from Google Groups that are not followups to my own postings down to a level where I do not see them by default. That helps.

Reply to
Rob

On 24 Aug 2013 10:04:26 GMT, Rob wrote in :

Yes, slrn score-files are good for that. At one time I killed everything from Google Groups on comp.lang.fortran because 99.9% of those posts were for "Canadian pharmaceuticals". Why c.l.f in particular was singled out for that attention I don't know, but I see it's starting to happen again in recent weeks.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________  CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University.    Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch]    Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Maybe because people who (still) use fortran are in more need of drugs than most people? :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Diamond

Especially the kind of drugs that "Canadian pharmaceuticals" sell... :-)

Reply to
Rob

Oi! I resemble that remark. True that my CERN work doesn't use Fortran much (there are some modules that haven't yet been translated to C++) but I've just taken delivery of a 60-core Xeon Phi co-processor and one of my commissioning jobs is likely to be to run multiply-parallel instances of my 1970's Fortran code simulating electron drift in a model gas under an electric field. :-0!

If my colleague can get a parallel-threaded psuedo-random-number generator ported to the device (I believe he has it working on Nvidia CUDA devices).

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________  CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University.    Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch]    Room 40-1-B12, CERN
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ivan D. Reid

That sounds like some very interesting work. (Too bad you had to (?) do it in Fortran :-).

This is off-topic for c.s.r-pi, but out of curiosity, how difficult is it to compare the results of your simulation code with experiments? (I used to do sonar systems R&D, and it was always interesting to compare the predictions with how things actually went out in the ocean.)

Cheers.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Diamond

No, my choice. I just need to knock-off a quick OpenMP project to demonstrate that it won't be a white elephant. To satisfy some other curiosities I also plan to try to get OpenCL code from seti@home to run.

Not that difficult, you compare characteristics such as drift velocity and diffusion coefficients with experimental measurements, but the hard part is determining the collision cross-sections. This was normally done iteratively using a numerical solution of the Boltzmann equation; the interest at the time (1975) became focused on how well this worked for large inelastic cross sections, and my work was actually comparing the Monte Carlo results with the Boltzmann approach, to see where things broke down. Australian Journal of Physics 05/1979; 32:231.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________  CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University.    Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch]    Room 40-1-B12, CERN
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ivan D. Reid

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 13:52:21 +0000 (UTC), Ivan D. Reid wrote in :

Just remembered that that's available from my ResearchGate account, try

's_equation_for_electron_swarms_in_gases_with_large_inelastic_cross_sections or dig down from
if that link doesn't work.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________  CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University.    Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch]    Room 40-1-B12, CERN