pidrive enclosure

For those of you who may have purchased a WD PiDrive and subsequently got an e-mail to fill out a survey for an enclosure:

UPS notification yesterday - it should be here by Tue Jan 19.

Reply to
ray carter

Any indication what the enclosure looks like? I checked the WD website and couldn't find any photos or drawings.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
User Bp

At the end of this video, there is a shot of the enclosure. To be honest, it does look a bit cheap.

ray carter

And this one:

ray carter

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, since anyone receiving one of these as a result of filling out the WD survery is getting it for free, so if it looks a bit cheap, then we're getting what we paid for :-) Seriously, I got an email from them saying that they had shipped it, and they also included a PDF that shows how to put the Pi and the drive into the case. Unfortunately, it came as an attachment to the email, so I can't give you a URL to go get it. At any rate, it looks as though it can do the job of holding the Pi and drive together in one place, although following the instructions could be tricky, since there are several places where you have to bend some of the cables to fit them inside the case, and I can see all kinds of problems with that if the assembler isn't careful. I'll know more at the end of the week since I'm supposed to get mine by the 20th.

W.

Reply to
watcher

Thanks for the links, I missed them. The case isn't much, but I suppose it's better that stuffing everthing into an old yogurt tub.....

Actually, the internal rack makes it better than a yogurt tub.

I've got three Pi2s on a table, the wiring makes a fairly impressive mess when a powered hub and external HDD is added. Eliminating the hub and using a USB flash drive cleans things up considerably, at a modest loss in performance.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
User Bp

hmm...I suppose I too am getting the previous linked video version of the 'Free wd drive case'

however there site shows this case .which I may get with the official pi case that goes with it..the price is modest like 10 bucks or some such

here are the links

wd case on site/store

the official pi case that mounts on top of the wd drive case above

I can't tell but can you pop the top on this and put in the small mountable lcd screens i see on stuff like this or is that a no go?

anyway for around 10 bucks will prob get 1 of each of the above plan on mounting them on a wall in basement to use as a bitcoin price ticker and litecoin price ticker as wall art :)

anyway for the price they seem cute and functional

mrbrad