Pi4 OK?

I've purchased each version of the RPi as it came out and at some time will get around to connecting one of them up.

Is it the case that if I've an early Pi4 that it will have a number of unresolved bugs? ISTR seeing this somewhere.

Reply to
Areligious Republican

I've only seen the USB-C power supply hardware bug mentioned. Use the official psu and you are ok - I power my pi's other ways, so don't care. There some early software issues, but if you use Raspbian, fixes come out fairly quickly.

In the general case of a new setup, I'd say it is probably good. If you do any hardware specific stuff, then you need to check out that there is suitable support.

The RPI forum is probably the best place to get more info.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

I've seen problems reported with some of the kits that include a pre-populated SD card with (supposedly) a NOOBS image from which you install. I'm not sure whether it was bad partitioning or a bad image, but the fix was to wipe the card (including the partition table), download a new copy of NOOBS onto it and install from that.

Reply to
NY

There have been a couple of firmware issues which were resolved by updating the eeprom. The most significant thing I have seen is that if you plan to do much with it, get heat sinks and a fan case.

Reply to
ray carter

Don't worry, if you continue not taking any of them out of their boxes I can assure you that everything will be fine.

Reply to
Gooner

On a sunny day (Wed, 6 Nov 2019 16:28:05 +0000) it happened Areligious Republican wrote in :

I bought a Pi4 some weeks ago I think it was. Now it is running fvwm with 9 virtual desktops (old one compiled from source), recording 6 security cams (2 IP, 4 from a Chinese box via ethernet) Has an USB Cinergy HD satellite tuner and record from that Plays HD movies with Omxplayer, normal satellite with xine or mplayer has an rtl_sdr stick (1ppm type) connected for radio etc, a 4 TB Toshiba USB harddisk connected via a powered USB hub runs both firefox and that chrome bowser. sits in a plastic box with a small heat sink glued on the processor (yes I need metal box).

I compiled many application I wrote, For the ones that use xforms (libforms-dev) I had to do a workaround an compiled a very old xforms from CVS and named it zforms, so this newsreader runs on it too, see headers of this posting. Normally I am ssh to this Pi4 from the laptop so I can program satellite recordings from far away. Installed zsh as shell, much nicer if you are in rxvt and xterm, saves typing. my spectrum analyzer works, my mediaplayer works, I have seen that red temperature thermometer alarm so far only once temperature is around 67 C or so, load-factor .6 (using xosview), joe as editor (also old one compiled from source, my old config files. yes some things are strange in Buster (I run buster ) and some are even stranger in Debian,

BUT and I have not tried anything with GPIO yet, GPIO in full use on my other raspis. Maybe wait for a second Pi4 do not want o take any changes with this one.

So, probably forgot some important things, so yes, Pi4 works for me, saves some power over having a big PC running, All the above things run at the same time.. aspi95: ~ # df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/root 29771644 12571152 15909256 45% / devtmpfs 1867796 0 1867796 0% /dev tmpfs 1999892 0 1999892 0% /dev/shm tmpfs 1999892 8776 1991116 1% /run tmpfs 5120 8 5112 1% /run/lock tmpfs 1999892 0 1999892 0% /sys/fs/cgroup /dev/mmcblk0p1 258095 53032 205064 21% /boot tmpfs 399976 0 399976 0% /run/user/1000 /dev/sda2 3844510712 1155261176 2493888872 32% /mnt/sda2

raspi95: ~ # uname -a Linux raspi95 4.19.75-v7l+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:51:41 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

I will save you top...

But it is as with everything (wireless keyboard and mouse connected to USB now to type this) it is the player, not the instrument But even as instrument I am satisfied with what this small box can do! Software you can form to your own liking.

So ;-) now start with your Pi 1???

Mine is connected to a Samsung Synmaster S22B350 HD monitor... 1920x1080 60Hz

Very bright display,,

End status report

There is actually more, was also trying Easycap digitizer, needs some work.. V4l2 stuff..

32 GB card ... card gets too warm for my liking. ext4 on the 4 TB harddisk.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I use my pi 4 with heatsinks and a case fan, and never gets more than lukewarm running 24/7

Reply to
RobH

I bought one days after release. I installed stuff on it and it has been running happily since. I use hypriot rather than raspbian. I use power from a USB socket integral to my wall socket, I have no heat sink or fan, I can't remember updating the OS. I don't even know if it is done automatically? I should look sometime.

I can't think of much more I could have done wrong.

I use it as a file server and for a number of always on service apps under docker. It has been up for 80 days, it just works. The file served ssd pretty much maxes out the gigbit lan.

All in all a really pleasing purchase.

Actually I do have a problem. docker-machine isn't working correctly from windows 10. Ho hum.

Reply to
Pancho