similarly up to the job? The Pi is powering the 2.5" external USB drive.

Daniele

Re: Pi Zero W throughput

How do you accomplish that ?

--

Re: Pi Zero W throughput

Mostly by following
<https://www.howtogeek.com/276468/how-to-use-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-networked-time-machine-drive-for-your-mac/ ,
but with a few changes.

For example, I use ext4 rather than HFS+, and as far as I can tell, the
name of the device in afpd.service and of the model in afp.conf must be
the same for it to work.

Daniele

Re: Pi Zero W throughput

Thanks, that will be a summer project for me

Re: Pi Zero W throughput

If you do use HFS+, you need to turn off journaling on the drive, while
it is still connected to your Mac. Can't be done from linux (well, it
can, but...) and you need it off to enable R/W access (well, you can
force R/W access, but...).

Also, in my experience a year or so ago, the HFS+ drivers are so shit
that my drive got corrupted all the time, making it read-only which then
needed unmount/fschk/remount to fix.

In summary, don't use HFS+. BUT, then you can't attach it directly to
your Mac again.

Re: Pi Zero W throughput

I started with HFS+ - and I ran into corruption after a few days.

I don't know of course whether that was related to HFS+, but I noted
several warnings from others.

Since using ext4, I have not had any issues.

I thougt I might have to, because of speed issues (to get the backup
started). But it was fine, with my 300GB HDD.

Daniele

Re: Pi Zero W throughput

Ok - thanks for the input

Re: Pi Zero W throughput

ritto:

It seems you can, but don't know about reliability:
http://osxdaily.com/2014/03/20/mount-ext-linux-file-system-mac/

Bye Jack

Re: Pi Zero W throughput
On Sun, 7 May 2017 11:12:03 +0100

You should be able to answer that by checking the CPU and RAM usage on
the Pi2 - if it can get by on half the RAM and only one core ...

Re: Pi Zero W throughput

I would expect that to be fine, it's more I/O hardware that I was
wondering about.

Daniele

Re: Pi Zero W throughput
On Sun, 7 May 2017 16:29:18 +0100

AIUI all the RPis have a single USB host on the SoC, some with a hub
hanging off it - I'd have thought I/O performance would be similar on
all of them.

Site Timeline