Pi Zero W throughput

A Raspberry Pi 2 has been doing fine as a Time Machine backup server running over wireless over a few days.

On that basis, can I assume that if swapped in a Pi Zero W, it would be similarly up to the job? The Pi is powering the 2.5" external USB drive.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

How do you accomplish that ?

Reply to
Björn Lundin

Mostly by following , but with a few changes.

For example, I use ext4 rather than HFS+, and as far as I can tell, the name of the device in afpd.service and of the model in afp.conf must be the same for it to work.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

You should be able to answer that by checking the CPU and RAM usage on the Pi2 - if it can get by on half the RAM and only one core ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

I would expect that to be fine, it's more I/O hardware that I was wondering about.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

AIUI all the RPis have a single USB host on the SoC, some with a hub hanging off it - I'd have thought I/O performance would be similar on all of them.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks, that will be a summer project for me

Björn Lundin

If you do use HFS+, you need to turn off journaling on the drive, while it is still connected to your Mac. Can't be done from linux (well, it can, but...) and you need it off to enable R/W access (well, you can force R/W access, but...).

Also, in my experience a year or so ago, the HFS+ drivers are so shit that my drive got corrupted all the time, making it read-only which then needed unmount/fschk/remount to fix.

In summary, don't use HFS+. BUT, then you can't attach it directly to your Mac again.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I started with HFS+ - and I ran into corruption after a few days.

I don't know of course whether that was related to HFS+, but I noted several warnings from others.

Since using ext4, I have not had any issues.

I thougt I might have to, because of speed issues (to get the backup started). But it was fine, with my 300GB HDD.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Ok - thanks for the input

Björn Lundin

ritto:

It seems you can, but don't know about reliability:

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747