Pi Zero-W

New Pi Zero-W ordered and dispatched. I just need a reason to own it now other than "because I want it"

Andy

Reply to
AndyW

People have climbed mountains for similar reasons.

--
James Harris
Reply to

I ordered one because I killed my original Pi Zero :-( Does anyone know if the Zero-W needs updated software?

Reply to
Rob Morley

before the announcement & can see that the PI Zero W would do everything I want from this device and more- all be it it is about twice the size - for less cash & probably easier.

oh well Cest la Vie

--
Even if you aren't in doubt, consider the mental welfare of the person who
has to maintain the code after you, and who will probably put parens in

I've heard some bad things about the ESP8266 tools. This uses a custom processor I believe, so there are only a couple of choices of tools, or maybe just one. Some folks in the Forth community are working on a Forth for it. I think the big difference between the ESP2866 and the rPi is the power consumption.

There is a newer version of this device generically called the ESP32. It has two CPUs, both much faster. You might give that a look. I think the idea is one CPU runs the wireless stack and the other is for the user app. I think this will give the rPi zero a run for the money... although I don't think you'll get it for anything like $5. More like $15 I think.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I fount the easiest way way to use the Arduino environment (not my favourite way of programming micro controllers but it was the fastest way to get results).

The big advantage of the PI is it is a full computer running a Linux OS

The disadvantage is it is a full computer running a Linux os.

(which of the above statements is apropriate depends on the usage requirements :-) )

As I am simply playing for self education/entertainment it is good to get a feel for multiple platforms.

--
excessive collisions & not enough packet ambulances
Reply to

The ESPxxx might be better suited it it was a battery-powered application.

Reply to
Andy Burns