pi power-cycle recovery

When, the otherday a year ago, I ordered my Pi, box and power for 46 euro:

Allied Electronics & RS Components raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com

"Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 2 week(s)) 6.28 euro" on top.

Reply to
hda

In comp.sys.raspberry-pi message , Sat, 4 Jan 2014 00:10:53, Dave Liquorice posted:

In milliSiemens? I think not.

See and .

--
 (c) John Stockton, near London.                Mail ?.?.Stockton@physics.org
  Web   - FAQish topics, acronyms, and links.

I wish that the scientific community would resist the temptation to name units after some berk or other. The result is obfuscation: just as c/s or Mc/s is more meaningful that Hz or MHz, so the J (Joule) is infinitely less comprehensible than the equivalent Nm as a unit of work and much less useful for a spot of dimensional analysis.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Nm is named after that berk Newton :)

scnr, stefan

Reply to
Stefan Enzinger

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 00:03:38 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie declaimed the following:

But what do you replace the Newton with? After all, it is another person's name

Dennis Lee Bieber

kgm/s^2 ( force = mass * acceleration )

Regards,

Kees.

--
Kees Theunissen.
Reply to

much harder to confuse with a torque though.

why stop at newton?

--
For a good time: install ntp
Reply to

Have you looked at HomePlug (powerline ethernet)? It works well for me over garage/shed distances. We are using Devolo 200 Mbps units. I have no experience with the 500 Mbps units.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

That's quite a good idea, but I've heard quite poor reports of their reliability. This guy

certainly doesn't seem to rate them, although Devolo seems to fare better than most. A bit pricey, though!

A second drawback is that I have 3-phase here, with all the sockets distributed around in an attempt at load-balancing. OK, it wouldn't be a major problem rewiring one or two of them to suit.

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

In two years, we've had one unit fail - and the indicator LEDs told us that it had failed. This is in a Victorian building with some of the oldest wiring in town. In the power surges before Christmas, four out of ten bulbs in one fitting failed in one evening.

Compared to digging trenches for new cable powerline networking is a bargain!

You can get units with three-port hubs built in, so bridging the phases somewhere should be feasible.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691
Stephen Pelc

In a mad moment - Dennis Lee Bieber mumbled :

Apple (the fruit not the fondle slabers) ;))

--

|)ryn [vans            mail to - BrynEvans@bryork.freeuk.com
Reply to
Bryn Evans

Fair cop, guv.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

In comp.sys.raspberry-pi message , Mon, 6 Jan 2014 00:03:38, Martin Gregorie posted:

You should mean N.m in which the dot should if possible be raised. The meaning of Nm is (a large and multiple-of-3 power of 10) times (one metre), though AFAIK it has not yet been found necessary to define the N prefix, and it would inevitably be confused with the n prefix, as M is with m.

Names for commonly-used combinations of the base units are very much needed by those who work in the corresponding fields. But it is a pity that Ernst Werner von Siemens had an apparently-plural surname; I recall one case where a unit conductance standard was, in draft, erroneously described as "1 Siemen".

--
 (c) John Stockton, nr London, UK.  Mail via homepage.  Turnpike v6.05  MIME.
  Web   - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links;

Are you seriously suggesting the Zetta Yotta sequence will be continued as far as N?

While your proposal of N.m does (like J) distinguish it from the unit of torque, the latter is invariably actually written Nm, not Nxm. (Where, as with your raised ., "x" is an ASCII approximation, not the correct symbol for cross product. N×m will look better in some newsreaders.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

But not if you send as "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1"

Reply to
A. Dumas

--
volume of a pizza of thickness a and radius z:  Pi*z*z*a
Reply to

what have you done to slrn to make it say

For a good time: install ntp
Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yeah well, it didn't. Apparently he used UTF-8 encoding but sent with

Reply to
A. Dumas

Nothing, I just left the defaults alone because I couldn't be bothered. The symbol was cut and pasted from Wikipedia's "cross product" page viewed in Chrome, if you really want to reverse engineer the complete sequence.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

I left the defaults alone too, but I get UTF-8, perhaps it's related to my locale, or choice of editor.

I use the gnome tool "Character Map"

Reply to
Jasen Betts