Pi B, B+ compatibility

I have a Pi B that I want to upgrade to a B+ and retain the B's current software. If I do a an "apt-get dist-upgrade" or some other specified upgrade sequence can I swap over the [micro-]USB card and expect the B+ to behave exactly like the B?

Reply to
Gordon Levi

Yes. You do need a fairly recent kernel to be able to swap cards, but a dist-upgrade will take care of that.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Once I successfully copied the whole content of an 8GB MicroSD card to a file on the harddisk (cat /dev/sdb > /var/tmp/rasb_8gb.img), and then vice versa to a 16GB MicroSD card (cat /var/tmp/rasb_8gb.img > /dev/sdb) after swapping them. During the following boot I was asked if I wanted to "expand" the partition to max ("yes!") and so I could use every installed software on the bigger disk since then.

Of course, using a card with less or equal size will cause trouble.

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.