Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

if I search for cases for my RasPi 3 B+, I found the most cases has
additional heat spreader and fan. It is fact that a RasPi 3 B+ needs
additional cooling? (Fans are noisy ...)

Bernd

Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?
Hello Bernd!

Friday January 11 2019 10:36, you wrote to All:

 > Hi,

 > if I search for cases for my RasPi 3 B+, I found the most cases has
 > additional heat spreader and fan. It is fact that a RasPi 3 B+ needs
 > additional cooling? (Fans are noisy ...)

Change case and fan/s to a 12 or 14" variable mode one or two placed left and
right or
front and back.

Have three in my primary system and very rarely hear any thing.

Vince

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Just how big is your Raspberry Pi case?

---druck

Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?
Hello druck!

Friday January 11 2019 22:37, you wrote to me:

 > On 11/01/2019 08:39, Vince Coen wrote:
 >> Change case and fan/s to a 12 or 14" variable mode one or two placed
 >> left and right or front and back.
 >>
 >> Have three in my primary system and very rarely hear any thing.

 > Just how big is your Raspberry Pi case?

Nope, that my primary linux system but I will do the same on the Pi if I get
noise issues.
Then it will be the issue of finding a very baby case that has suitable fan
slots/holes etc but if that happens
I will consider putting in a baby modular psu then I can increase the Pi board
count with ease creating a real
quad core system having changed the Linux job scheduler to multi box mode a la
JES3.

How ever I hope that the need will not arise as my Pi uses heat conductors on
both chips but it is still warm!

Must work out how to check the temps - assuming there is an internal chip
componenet that does it.

There again it is a very mobo with a very low chip count and capability.

Vince

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

On the command line, cpu temperature in millidegrees Celsius: "cat
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp"

Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?
Hello A!

Sunday January 13 2019 18:54, you wrote to me:

 > Vince Coen wrote:
 >> Must work out how to check the temps - assuming there is an internal
 >> chip componenet that does it.

 > On the command line, cpu temperature in millidegrees Celsius: "cat
 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp"

Thanks for that have added it to gkrelim,

Vince

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 21:39:28 +1300, snipped-for-privacy@f1.n50.z2.binkp.net
(Vince Coen) declaimed the following:

    Pardon? A 12 INCH fan for a board that is barely 3 inches on the long
side?

    I, for one, can't spare a microwave oven for a credit card computer.

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Depends on what you're doing with it. IME if you're playing video
that'll push the temperature up, but everything else is fine.

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?
Thx,

I'll cut the fan cable ;-)

Bernd

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Not sure. Even idling several parts in mine got too hot to touch. I have
bought a set of stick-on heatsinks and feel better now. A fan seems
overkill, but a closed case may keep the warmth in.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Cheap passive cooling (and an open/half open case) is good enough for 99%

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/heatsink?variant16%851450375

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Or, for a case with a ventilation hole on top, disable the fan and fit a
cardboard tube of at least the diameter of the vent hole to use the
chimney effect for cooling. Not sure what size the tube would need to be
- 50cm @ 50mm diam - but its something you can try at zero cost and with
almost no preparation.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

And never forget that ventilation at the top is useless without
corresponding openings at the bottom and vice versa. I say this this,
because I've seen that kind of silliness. Often there are openings at
the bottom, where you can't see them, but a nice, shiny, and totally
closed top.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Fair comment - and equally applicable to fans as well as chimneys.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Hi-speed fans are noisy, low-speed ones aren't.

Fit a 40mm 5V fan (eg CPC MF67761, lots of blade area, quoted 27 dBA)
that'll be pretty quiet connected directly to 5V.

Want quieter feed it via transistor from a GPIO producing a PWM
signal under software control. Can arrange for it to only run when
required and only as fast as needs be. Note if going from stopped to
moving it might need a brief full whack burst to get it going. Donno
how easy getting the CPU temp is (or isn't).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Not always. I have a tiny fan on my 3B+ and it is just audible when run
off 5V, but inaudible at 3V3. The lower voltage still gives sufficient
airflow to prevent thermal throttling on any workload I give it, where
as in a case without a fan, it quickly runs away.

---druck

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Thx, for your comments. Meanwhile I have found how to measure the temp
from the RasPi. This and the tip to use a 5V fan but connect to 3.3V
does the trick.

Thx for the ideas!

Bernd

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?

Readable output, not directly useful in scripts:
$ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp46%.2'C

Value in millidegrees:
$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
47236

Value in degrees rounded down, so 47.9 becomes 47:
$ echo $(($(cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp)/1000))
47

Value in degrees with one decimal, using bc:
$ echo "scale=1;$(cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp)/1000" | bc
46.5

The same thing without bc:
$ vcgencmd measure_temp | cut -d= -f2 | cut -d' -f1
46.2

(The decimal separator is not localised for any of these.)

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?
On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:13:49 +0100) it happened "A. Dumas"

Degrees Kelvin?

Re: Pi 3 B+: Needs Cooling?
Jan Panteltje wrote:

Here's something new for you to learn: the unit symbol is K, the unit name
is kelvin, the person is Kelvin.

Site Timeline