Perl version conflict over an RPM install

I'm trying install LMS (Logitech Media Server) on a laptop running Fedora

28, like all my other hosts (apart from an RPi, which runs Raspbian). LMS is a Perl application, hence the title.

The target machine is running Fedora 28, fully updated as of last Friday, and and has never had LMS installed on it. I tried both the standard release version, built last April, and the nightly development version, built on Tuesday. These are:

logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-1.noarch.rpm 17-Apr-2018 08:28 171M logitechmediaserver-7.9.2-0.1.1536072399.noarch.rpm 171.37 MB September 04 2018 15:22

However, a straight-forward install of either .rpm fails immediately with a Perl version dependency error. Here's the standard release failing to install, followed immediately by asking Perl for its version:

$ sudo rpm -U logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-1.noarch.rpm [sudo] password for xxxx: error: Failed dependencies: perl >= 5.8.8 is needed by logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-1.noarch $ perl -v This is perl 5, version 26, subversion 2 (v5.26.2) built for x86_64-linux- thread-multi ... $

As you can see, the current F28 Perl is version 5.26.2, and since LMS only requires 5.8.8 or higher, I would have expected that to work, but noooo...

This will be a throwaway install which will be used as a known fresh install while I trouble-shoot a plugin problem with my live LMS server, which is on a different host, so I don't mind trashing it by tweaking the rpm options to force an install. If it runs as well, that's a bargain.

With that in mind, how can I force rpm to ignore the Perl version and do the install anyway?

I'd prefer to force rpm to do the install rather than using a nightly tarball because that will make removal easier when I no longer need this copy of LMS.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

man rpm

I would try with --force and/or --nodeps

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Could be a bug where the versions are compared lexically instead of numerically.

Reply to
A. Dumas

As you multi-posted, rather than cross-posted, my answer is over in u.c.o.linux

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, I knew that: I'm currently using both the albasani and eternal- september servers and the prime one (seems to be albasani) wouldn't let me cross-post (said it had never heard of u.c.o.l), so I duped the post.

Reasoning was that u.c.o.l is a better/more logical place for RHF questions but c.s.r has far more traffic at present.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Thanks for your help, guys.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Following up:

rpm -U --force

didn't bypass the perl version mismatch, but --nodeps allowed the install to complete but didn't set up a link that the LMS forum thinks necessary, so I added that manually. After this the LMS server came up after I'd used systemctl to enable and start it and is currently busy building its local music catalogue.

I've posted an account of this to the LMS forum, suggesting that they fix the rpm dependency info and add a script to put the missing link in place.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org