OT "locked down"

In another thread (Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?) a number of respondents have used the phrase "locked down" of school computers. What does it mean? I think I have, from time to time, heard of other things being locked down (town centres perhaps?). Are the meanings related?

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant

It means the computer is configured in such a way that it is not possible for the average user to modify critical configuration, such as the installation of software. For example, when the student thinks "I don't like internet explorer, let's install Firefox like at home" it is not possible.

This will generally reduce the risk that unwanted software (virus, trojan, malware) will get on the computer, or that the computer will start to behave in an unusual manner and is not usable for the next user (so that IT would have to be called to "fix it").

Reply to
Rob

It means that as a normal user you can't install software, make system changes, etc. You can only do what the system administrator lets you do.

In a loose sort of way. A town centre or building in "lock down" would mean the authorities not letting any one in or out and probably restricting the movement of those within the "lock down" area as well.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

means you can't freely install software, Install a keylogger on a shared computer you hurt the next user, install it on your rpi (or rpi sd card) you only effect yourself,

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

It is sometimes done that way. I have seen that many years ago in an internet cafe. Every time a user logged off, the system displayed a "please wait while the system is being readied" screen at which time it would copy the entire OS partition and reboot. There also has been a Microsoft product "Windows Steadystate" that could rollback any changes made to a windows system during a session, but it has been discontinued.

However, this guards only against permanent modification of the system and not against activity that might be disapproved because of its immediate effects. E.g. installation and use of a bittorrent client. So locking down goes a bit further and might be combined with your method when the admin is not certain that it works completely reliably.

(e.g. re-installing images every night)

Reply to
Rob

the modern way would be to boot into Linux, launch a full screen virtual windows, and then 'revert to snapshot' automatically on boot.. Now if they had enough nous to actually subvert Linux on boot, then of course they probably have passed the test you wanted them to pass, anyway.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem being that you coudn't officially award them points for their skill!

--
Windmill, TiltNot@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Windmill

You can recognize ignorant people like Rob by their use of words like "fanboys".

Although one point off for not spelling it "fanboi".

--
Today is Boomtime, the 26th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3179
RIP James Joseph Gandolfini, Jr. (September 18, 1961 ? June 19, 2013)

Sitting on the park bench -- eyeing little girls with bad intent. Snot is running down his nose -- greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bill Gunshannon

Oh! thanks for reminding me of that! I saw them do that live one time ( I think.*)

*If you can remember the 60/70s you weren't really there.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I actually had this on for my ride to work this morning. May not ride a Harley (I have a Vulcan) but I still love "Too Old to Rock and Roll - Too Young to Die".

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bill Gunshannon

Hogwash. A windows system can even be prepared for such a move, where it will autodetect all changes and come up with all hardware configured. In fact, that is how pre-built systems are shipped.

Of course it depends on the license key if it then needs activation, will work on a different brand of computer (as indicated by BIOS), or will work with no problems at all.

Reply to
Rob

You're never too old to rock and roll (well I hope so). ;-)

Great band, JT. Saw them once or twice myself. Can't remember whether they played Aqualung though.

--
(\__/)  M.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mark

That's pretty much what they say in the end. "No, you're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die."

I saw them live once. My daughter bought the tickets and went with me for my 50th brithday!! She likes Tull as much as I do. I think "Locomotive Breath" is her favorite.

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bill Gunshannon

SWMBO likes some Tull but not the same stuff as me. The rest of the family not at all. 'Aqualung' is probably my favourite along with 'No Lullaby', 'Budapest', 'Pitbroch' and 'Fat Man'.

--