Non-square pixels on 7" touchscreen

For some unfathomable reason the 7" touchscreen has rectangular pixels.

I can't imagine why anyone thought this was a good idea. It makes it useless as a device that has to display an image of anything unless you like distorted images.

Is it possible correct by scaling the video output from the Pi?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I am almost certain it is, but I haven't a clue what the magic spell would be.

I'd imagine deep in the bowels of xorg.conf, is away of telling it that the display is bent.

Mmm. After a few minutes probing, it looks like there is a 'Displaysize' directive in Xorg.conf that takes two parameters - the X and Y pixels per inch.

Edit (or create) /etc/X11/xorg.conf and put in this

Section "Monitor" Identifier "Touchscreen" VendorName "Wombatronic Industries" ModelName "Gargleblaster 8000" HorizSync 30 - 50 VertRefresh 60 DisplaySize 650 406 EndSection

and play around with the numbers if it makes a difference. Obviously you will have top reboot the x server between changes

If that doesn't work, there is a program called xrandr that can be used to interrogate and set parameters

But the poster there ended up having to use a startup script to invoke it., because he never found a way to make the changes permanent.

I am now off firmly outside my sphere of competence, so I will sign off.

Good luck.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[]

I've used xrandr to pan around the pokey display on a eeepc. Yup it goes in a startup script to set the desired resolution.

No, there doesn't seem to be a "save settings" option.

Bah, and indeed, Humbug
Reply to
Kerr Mudd-John