Non-square pixels on 7" touchscreen

For some unfathomable reason the 7" touchscreen has rectangular pixels.

I can't imagine why anyone thought this was a good idea. It makes it
useless as a device that has to display an image of anything unless you
like distorted images.

Is it possible correct by scaling the video output from the Pi?

Daniele

Re: Non-square pixels on 7" touchscreen

I am almost certain it is, but I haven't a clue what the magic spell
would be.

I'd imagine deep in the bowels of xorg.conf, is away of telling it that
the display is bent.

Mmm. After a few minutes probing, it looks like there is a 'Displaysize'
directive in Xorg.conf that takes two parameters - the X and Y pixels
per inch.

Edit (or create) /etc/X11/xorg.conf and put in this

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier  "Touchscreen"
     VendorName  "Wombatronic Industries"
     ModelName   "Gargleblaster 8000"
     HorizSync   30 - 50
     VertRefresh 60
     DisplaySize  650 406
EndSection

and play around with the numbers if it makes a difference. Obviously you
will have top reboot the x server between changes

If that doesn't work, there is a program called xrandr that can be used
to interrogate and set parameters

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id13%2170

But the poster there ended up having to use a startup script to invoke
it., because he never found a way to make the changes permanent.

I am now off firmly outside my sphere of competence, so I will sign off.

Good luck.

Re: Non-square pixels on 7" touchscreen
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:26:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

[]

I've used xrandr to pan around the pokey display on a eeepc. Yup it goes
in a startup script to set the desired resolution.

No, there doesn't seem to be a "save settings" option.

https://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man1/xrandr.1.html

Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Site Timeline