No `pppd`: HOW can install ?

If I could have info on HOW2 manually install `eject`, perhaps the G3 dongle could continue with the regrettably hidden details of instalation: fetchURL, fetchFile.

Otherwise you need to go via your PC. But then must I buy a 'straight' or cross-over ethernet-cable to the PC?

And what does rPi use instead of the missing pppd?

Reply to
Unknown

What missing pppd?

apt-get install ppp

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

You can find the .deb file somewhere under the pool/ directory of the archive website. You can search for the package in the Packages file to find its exact location. You can install the .deb with ?dpkg -i? as root.

If you want to run PPP on some link, you need pppd. It?s in the ppp package.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

instalation:

And don't forget to get the correct ARM-version. That's why Debian is trying to make an : the apt* project, to control the exploding combination of version, hardware, dependencies ...etc.

This simplest question, is where I must start.

Well then why:- > >And what does rPi use instead of the missing pppd?

In fact /mnt/tmp/lib/modules/3.2.27-cutdown+/kernel/drivers/net/ppp/* == has 5 *.ko MODULES. So, it looks as if an appropriate model needs to be installed?

It seems as if everyone is just guessing, because the illusion of 'it just works for me', makes them think they know what's happening under the bonnet.

BTW my pan newsreader shat again.

Reply to
Unknown

Nobody else seems to be having these difficulties, which will tend to lead people to wonder whether maybe it's something specific to you.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I think there seems to be a complete understanding of how linux, and package management, works.

the raises the question of 'where to begin explaining'

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Er.. s/understanding/misunderstanding/ ...

:-)

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is there a TECHNICAL forum for rPi. Where I can exchange Technical info, without the noise of lonely people who want to SOCIALLY interact ?

BTW. here's the latest: I took 'the offices' etho cable over the weekend. I guess its a straight through. rPi: dmesg | grep eth == .... But that would probably show without connecting to the PC [which didn't get installed]?

Here's a simple TECHNICAL question, which doesn't need the word "you": does the connection directly between a PC & rPi need a cross-over cable?

== TIA.

Reply to
Unknown

No.

Simple enough for you?

Reply to
Dom

On 26/10/2013 18:50, Unknown wrote: []

Almost certainly not - I've never bothered with such. I think the RPi, like most modern equipment, has auto-sense.

--
Cheers,
David
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Taylor

Even if the Pi has, for the last about 8 years or so the PCs have so as long as one end is 'auto sense' (MDIX) it will work and not known anybody who has had to use a crossover cable for about 10 years.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul

I made one two weeks ago to connect two cashregisters at the company cafetaria that had been connected using an old hub, but we needed the

1HE rackspace for something else and did not feel like dangling a workplace switch along the side of the rack.
Reply to
Rob

Here's where to find the basics:

- a copy of the "Raspberry Pi User Guide"

-

-

The last one explains Debian package management among much else, so sit down and read that. Now.

These may also help:

-

-

-

Answered already in this here newsgroup.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

When I thied it I was able to use an ordinary cable (to my laptop).

To use an ordinary cable at-least one end of the link needs to do "auto MDIX" but it could be my PC doing that, so the actual test is inconclusive

OI was doing command-line netowork configuration, but the netowrk manager didn't like this setup

An appeal to the documnetation got better results. the specification sheet for the ethernet chip says it does do that (right side of front page near "Integrated Ethernet PHY").

?? 100% natural
Reply to
Jasen Betts

The last time I had to use one was 2006 I remeber because I didn't have one and so had to make one by cutting up a straight-through cable and twisting wires together. (not a reliable arrangement, but I only needed it to work for about an hour)

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

In around 8 of 10 cases; yes. And the crossover will always work, the rest of the cases are where the PC has a modern, self-sensing NIC that will turn the signal automagically. The r-pi does not have such a NIC.

The short answer : YES.

You need to change pairs 2 and 3, yellow and green. In the RJ45 contact you connect 1-2 3-6 and 3-6 1-2, and let 4-5 and 7-8 straight through; if they are present at all.

Or you deploy a small switch.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad

However this won't work for Gigabit connections, as they require all 4 pairs. Gigabit always seems to handle straight cables anyway.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alan Adams

But if the OTHER end is auto sensing then all is well anyway. Most

100Mbps kit is autosensing

So the longer answer is probably NO. Depending n te PC chipsets

which is probably the easiest, nearly l all switches are autosensing and you don't need a x over cable anyway

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apparently he just wants (to demand) answers (of which he approves) to (rather basic) questions (that could easily be answered with a web search).

Reply to
Rob Morley

The r-pi does not support gigabit ether. No point. It maxes out on interrupts at around 25 megabits worth of max packet traffic anyway.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad