No outgoing sound from Raspberry Pi 4B both 4GB and 8GB models.

Hello you all,

When using the Chrome webbrowser for a video meeting with Zoom, the browser blocks the outgoing sound of my USB camera mic, even if I have allowed to use it, very strange.

My camera is a new WaveShare MX179_8MP_USB_Camera with built in microphone.

When I type: ls /dev the camera is found as video0 conform the manual.

But when I try this: Microphone not authorized. Please check your media permissions settings. or this: onlinehardwaretest.com says: You are not authorized to use the microphone in your browser.

Of Course I have given permission to the Chrome browser to use both the camera and the built in mic on that USB2A device.

My Pi 4B 4GB runs Raspbian Buster Linux from sept 2019. pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a Linux raspberrypi 4.19.75-v7l+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:51:41 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

This Raspbian Buster Linux 2019 version does not work on the Pi 4B 8GB.

On my newer Pi 4B 8GB I have the same mic sound out errors with Raspbian. Camera works ok, I can see myself with the test programs in the browser.

My Pi 4B 8GB runs the latest Raspbian Buster Linux from May 2020. pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a Linux raspberrypi 4.19.118-v7l+ #1311 SMP Mon Apr 27 14:26:42 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

Some other friend told me, Raspbian is the sound out problem here. Maybe some sound module is missing? It did not matter if you install Cheese, PulseAudio or fswebcam he said. Could it be, that there is a change in config.txt on the Boot partition of Raspbian needed? If so, what line, and how should it be written? I could not imagine of any item to change or to add? The website: did not give me the solution for this mic sound problem either.

Because of the speed Zoom needs, I think a Pi 4B with 2GB or more is better than a Pi 3B+ which has only 1GB of memory, or the older Pi's such as the 3B, 2B, 1B+, 1B or ZeroW.

Sound in from other users talking with Zoom via the Chrome browser works ok when using Raspbian Buster Linux. But they think I have muted my Mic, NOT ;-(. Incoming sound from YouTube films also works ok.

Can somebody give me advise how to get this mic out signal working? If possible in Raspbian Buster Linux 2020 at the Pi 4B 8GB.

Does someone know If Skype works on a Raspberry Pi 4B ? I have 2 of these USB2A camera's with built in microphone, so I could do more tests with the right software hints. Thanks in advance.

Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

Did you get a pop-up microphone permission request from that page, before it said "not authorised" ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hello Andy,

Yes, far much before that, when I logged in into a Zoom session and I had to connect de camera and mic for it. I had to right click on the HTTPS padlock symbol to allow the Chrome browser to use both cam and mic. So I did allow them both. The cam worked ok, but the mic was still silent ;-(. Then I tried that test site and then came out that it could not be used. Very strange for 2 identical fresh new USB2 cams inclusiev Mic and given allowance on both my Pi 4B's, one 4GB and one 8GB. I tried every possible combination with these 4.

I think there could be 3 problems possible:

  1. Chrome for Raspbian does have a bug?
  2. Raspbian Buster Linux for de Pi 4B does not have the right sound module?
  3. The mic on both the new USB2A cams are defective?

Any idea's?

Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

Was it using the correct mic?

my laptop has its inbuilt mic, the sound card input and when docked on my desk it also has a mic in the USB webcam and a mic input from a USB audio in/out box ... sometimes software picks the wrong input.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hello Andy,

It was the only one connected.

I understand, and I did know that kind of wrong input selections. But the Pi 4B has no audio input on the MoBo, only a socket for an extra camera on a flatcable, which I do not have. The most logical idea could be that Raspbian Buster Linux does not have a USB2A mic audio in software module, and can only work with the camera on the motherboard socket if connected? May be there is a "hidden" solution to change over from internal camera to the USB2A version, I do not know of?

It is even more strange that de USB cam is working ok, but the built in mic on the same USB2A device is also been seen, hence I could not give it allowance, but still gives no sound and that error on the testsites.

Are there other Linux versions working on a Pi 4B both 4GB and 8GB that have the GUI and the Chrome webbrowser I can give a try? Zoom prefers Chrome above other webbrowsers.

Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

The Raspberry Pi cameras don't have microphones.

On a Raspberry Pi 3 connected to one of my 3D printers, I set up a Microsoft LifeCam HD-6000 for monitoring the printer. It has a microphone, and poking around in alsamixer reveals that it's showing up as an input device. lsusb shows snd_usb_audio in use.

It works pretty well at streaming 720p video from my printer, though I should probably look into switching it from autofocus to manual focus as it sometimes gets confused.

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter

Hello Scott,

OK, I did not know that, thanks.

Ah, can you hear remotely via that mic that it is printing?

Mine shows only its vendor and product ID 6366:3370

My new camera works ok, but at the Pi no sound from the mic. To day I tried my cam and mic on the Win10 machine of a friend, and both worked ok there. So the error must be in Raspbian Buster Linux, or in the Chrome webbrowser. A friend of my told me the mike of his webcam did not work either in Rasbian Buster Linux, but in Ubuntu Linux it worked ok. I donot know which Pi he used. I tried that to, but got other errors first, as Ubuntu comes with FireFox and not with Chromium. In FF I got many ads, mostly from Google, unworkable. Second I had no incoming sound with Ubuntu. In the worst case scenario I have to use one Pi with Raspbian Buster Linux for outgoing picture and incoming soud, and use the other Pi with Ubuntu and the second identical camera for the outgoing sound. Strange way of communicating, don't you think? So there must be a way of using only one Pi and one camera to both send and receive pictures and sound, with a browser for Zoom, Jitsi and Skype. Any ideas?

Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen